Idec Plc Hsc

RBergmann

I really did think that this was going to be easier than it has proved to be. Here's the challenge:

Using an IDEC ONC (open net controller, fancy name for this PLC) and the HSC (high speed counter) dedicated inputs, I want to convert the pulse train from a GF paddle wheel sensor to measure the flow rate of water in a pipe using 'K' factors to adjust the pulses to GPM for a particular size (and material) of pipe. I want to use "double words" (32-bit) in my math calculations but the IDEC has an odd way (to me) of using these double registers and I'm not sure that I've been manipulating them correctly. IDEC uses two 16-bit registers for double words (as you might expect) but the results are confusing. It looks like I need to convert the results in some fashion.

I primarily use Mitsubishi PLCs and the results of double word calculations are predictable and obvious. I often use 32-bit registers to manipulate decimal values to integers. So that I can display the results on an OIT and place a decimal where it belongs. Doesn't seem to work with IDEC's ONC (and 32-bit math is not available at all with the MicroSmart series, only multiplication supports 'double words'). What am I missing here?

Anyone familiar with IDECs? I thought that I was able to get past most of what I would consider to be limitations but the math does me in.

I want my basic approach to be to take the number of pulses over a period of time (say a minute) and divide this by the 'K' factor. My initial approach is to start the time base and the pulse count simultaneously, get my results and reset the count and timer. I now get values all over the map.

Watcha think?

... rab