download and uplaod from panelview 1200

wilsonzhu

Hi, Can I download and upload program to AB panelview 1200 using its development software pds.exe(dos version 2711-ND1)? Some article says it need special utility transfer software 2711E-ND7. I am not sure. and what's pinout of upload and download cable 2711-NC1? Thanks,

According to the User Manual 2711-um011_-en-p.pdf on page 3-18 the cable is a standard serial cable (no null modem). I was able to communicate with a 9-pin straight-thru and a 9-25 pin adapter. To make your own,

25-Pin Male 9-Pin Female
2 <-----------------< 3
3 <-----------------< 2
4 <-----------------< 7
5 <-----------------< 8
6 <-----------------< 6
7 <-----------------< 5
8 <-----------------< 1
20<-----------------< 4

The problem I am having is the software says there is no Application File to download from the Terminal... Anyone know how to resolve this?

--Andy

Are you using panelview development software dos version pds.exe to download or upload? which type is pv1200 Rs232 port? Female or male? Thanks.

Andy Thornton said:
The problem I am having is the software says there is no Application File to download from the Terminal... Anyone know how to resolve this?

Just a technicality...

You download TO the terminal from your PC.
You upload FROM the terminal to your PC.

If you don't have anything on your computer and you're trying to DOWNLOAD, you would get that message...

OZEE said:
You download TO the terminal from your PC.
You upload FROM the terminal to your PC.

Yes, I meant UPLOAD. Sorry...

I was using PDS rev.3.02.00 with a 1711-KC1 rev. E.
Just downloaded PDS rev. 5.01.00 from this site. Maybe the HW rev. requires the newer SW. Will go to customer plant again tomorrow to see if that does the trick.

Have you had success getting PB1200 to work with WinXP? I put the files from the PB1200 zip onto my XP laptop and thought it was running okay, but it will not allow me to change the directory in the software (it says Invalid directory). Works fine on my Win95 laptop in DOS mode, but that machine's battery has no capacity so I am running extension cords just to upload this app from the terminal. There are other reasons is would be convenient to have PB1200 work on my XP machine.

-Andy

Last edited:
K -- just wanted to make sure you understood the difference. I've seen several times where somebody was downloading from a PLC, then wondering why their process all of a sudden shut down -- after they had just downloaded either a blank program or an old-version of a program...

I wouldn't make a very large wager that PB1200 would connect properly on anything newer than WinNT or Win98.

wilsonzhu said:
Are you using panelview development software dos version pds.exe to download or upload? which type is pv1200 Rs232 port? Female or male? Thanks.

Was using PDS v3.02 (DOS based). Will try v5.01 tomorrow.
The RS232 port on the PV1200 is 25-pin Female, so my cable is 25-pin Male on that end.

-Andy

I think you can download DosBox software to simulator Dos environment, then run pds.exe to see if it can communicate with the pb1200. I run pds.exe in my computer's Dosbox environment, there are download/upload menu, so it should be able to work. if it works on the site, pls post the information because I am not quite sure about it.

Andy Thornton said:
Was using PDS v3.02 (DOS based). Will try v5.01 tomorrow.

That did the trick for me (running v5.01 on a Win95 laptop).

Never did resolve the Invalid directory issue on my XP machine; just worked around it to do what I needed.

- Andy

i tried with V5.01 in winxp (dos version) and the pv1200 show that it is transmitting
and my computer show transmitting ..(file name)
but after a time appears on my computer error synchronization.
im using db25-db9 cable.
some help