PV+400 Config mode

shrirampendse

Help Required:

I have pv+400 having only serial port. The application currently running in it has no button to take it to configuration screen, neither it has close button, or menu bar.Last application running in it has serial oprt configured for ABDF to SLC. It has no other controls on screen. I cant download any new application , it gives CIP error and quits. By pressing RESET button on side, it restarts with same application.

How do I bring configuration screen, so that I can change settings?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

CLXenggr

CompactFlash is a PanelView Plus terminal's best friend

Check the Knowledgebase for a document that includes an Autorun file that you put in the root directory of a CompactFlash card.

That file will erase the current *.MER file, so you can reboot the terminal and it will fail to find the "current project" and dump you into the configuration mode.

(Note: The Knowledgebase document is AID# 26037. You need a Tech Connect contract to view it.)

Are there any cases in which this will not work? I have the file for the PV+ 400, renamed it to autorun.exe, inserted into the panel while the old application was still running, left it for 30 seconds, removed the card, then rebooted.

Result: The old application still remains on the PV+.

Are there any cases in which this will not work? I have the file for the PV+ 400, renamed it to autorun.exe, inserted into the panel while the old application was still running, left it for 30 seconds, removed the card, then rebooted.

Result: The old application still remains on the PV+.Today 09:24 AM

According to the technote, the CF utility only puts the terminal into config mode. It does not say it erases it. In config mode you can turn off the "autorun" option.

Alright, I broke down and called Rockwell. The lady I talked to said that the method in 26037 never works. She suggested the following two options:
1. Plug in a USB Keyboard and press: Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Windows
2. KB ID 27452

I went with method two, since I was already messing with CF and didn't care about the loss of the apps. It worked right away.

Well, the CF card method has always worked for me, on PanelView Plus terminals from version 3.0 onward.

I'm willing to be incorrect, or have something that changed on the terminals, or have there be something specific about specific CF cards, but I posted a method that I have personal knowledge of and success with.

I never said you were wrong, I was just posting what I was told from Rockwell....

It may be only for the PV+ 400, I really don't know.

Clarification :-

Method 1. Using the AUTORUN.EXE in a Compact Flash card (or can be on a USB memory stick), does actually ERASE the current running program. As Ken says, the terminal will fail to find the application when it boots up, and drops you into Config. Mode. (tested on PV600 V2.0.20 using AUTORUN.EXE in the Root Directory of a USB memory stick).

Using this method you will need to put the program back afterwards.

Method 2. Plug in a standard USB keyboard, and press CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, and the WINDOW keys simultaneously, and it brings up CE's Task Manager, from there you can terminate the application, the station restarts, but the MER application doesn't, so you end up in Config Mode. On the next terminal restart, though, the application will re-load from storage, and will auto-start again.

Using this method you will NOT need to put the program back afterwards.

I did think there ought to be a way of stopping the application from starting, (like in "standard" Windows), by holding down SHIFT on the USB keyboard, but I haven't yet found a way to do this.

Hope this helps....

daba said:
Method 1. Using the AUTORUN.EXE in a Compact Flash card (or can be on a USB memory stick), does actually ERASE the current running program. As Ken says, the terminal will fail to find the application when it boots up, and drops you into Config. Mode. (tested on PV600 V2.0.20 using AUTORUN.EXE in the Root Directory of a USB memory stick).

Only other thing to note is that there is actually two versions of this: ID#26037 and ID#27452.

ID#26037 is not supposed to delete the application, but I could not get it to work on a PV+ 400.

ID#27452 does delete the application and it worked for me without any problems.

They both use an autorun.exe via the Compact Flash Card.

I tried it again, just to make sure, only this time it didn't erase the runtime file.

If I get chance I will try it several times tomorrow, and try to determine if it does, or does not, erase the .MER