Having trouble with slc 5/03

dajohn6

I have a slc 5/03 ten card rack with a ten card remote i/o rack. The processor is faulting out and the fault says that the remote i/o has lost power. I have check the incoming power, when it faults, but there is no loss of incoming voltage. The power led doesn't come on, but the inputs/outputs are energizing. The machines that the slc is controlling can run for 5 or 10 minutes with no problems then the fault occurs, it can last a few seconds, then the processor will clear itself and machinary can be restarted. I assume that it is probably the p/s on the remote i/o because of the led not illuminating but I don't have a spare and I need to know if that is the problem.

It's hard to say. I've had issues where the processor would fault occasionally and wipe out the program. After a download, it would come up and run for a while before faulting again.

Turned out to be a bad rack...

What you are describing, Darren, is an "extended local I/O chassis" for the SLC-500 controller. There should be a thick bus extension cable connecting the first 10-slot chassis and the second 10-slot chassis.

The integrity of the I/O system is vital to the operation of SLC-500 controllers. If any I/O module malfunctions, SLC controllers will fault and stop the program because they consider the machine to be out of control. Loss of power to an extended I/O chassis is considered to be a major I/O malfunction.

If you are absolutely certain that voltage is present but the power LED is not illuminating on the second chassis power supply, then the power supply unit is the problem.

Check very carefully to see if your power supply has a "user 24V" output and be certain that output is not being short-circuited. That's a common cause of power supply shutdown.

check the power supplies providing the power.

if they are to small, you will get this fault.

also, try turning the status bit "fault over ride at power up" of
if this is when the problem occurs.

regards,
james

Ken Roach said:
What you are describing, Darren, is an "extended local I/O chassis" for the SLC-500 controller. There should be a thick bus extension cable connecting the first 10-slot chassis and the second 10-slot chassis.

The integrity of the I/O system is vital to the operation of SLC-500 controllers. If any I/O module malfunctions, SLC controllers will fault and stop the program because they consider the machine to be out of control. Loss of power to an extended I/O chassis is considered to be a major I/O malfunction.

If you are absolutely certain that voltage is present but the power LED is not illuminating on the second chassis power supply, then the power supply unit is the problem.

Check very carefully to see if your power supply has a "user 24V" output and be certain that output is not being short-circuited. That's a common cause of power supply shutdown.

I am absolutely certain that the income voltage is present but the LED is not illuminating. I haven't checked the "user" 24v yet, but I will. The machinary has been running for years, that is why I didn't check for size, or to see if the jumper was in the right position.