OT AB Drawing

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I went to the AB website to download a drawing of a disconnect switch and the drawing appears to be unavailable. The part shows up in their CAD drawing search and the drawing links appear, but don't lead to a drawing. I posted a request on the AB forums, hopefully that turns something up. Otherwise, does anyone know how I can get the dimensional drawings for AB part 1494C-DN400-A4-D-F-G?

TIA,

Greg

Still no drawing, but I did notice something interesting. The 1494C-DN400-A4 is a 400 amp non-fused disconnect. It's cost is $1,895 retail on the AB website. If you look at the larger 1494C-DN600-A4 which is the same disconnect, with the exception of it being a 600 amp disconnect. It's price is $895 on the AB website. I confirmed this with my local distributor. The 600 amp is 1/2 the price of the 400 amp. Their only explanation is that it's a mistake in the AB system or they sell a lot more of the 600 amp ones. These are relatively new parts so I'm suspecting an error. I'm awaiting an official quote on the 600 amp to see if it's cheaper than the 400 amp that I already purchased.......a little bummed though, I still need the dimensions on the 400 amp.

Greg

Yes, it is. I've studied this drawing several times and it doesn't show the actual dimensions of the disconnect. It shows all you would want to know about the cutout for the handle, etc...All I need is the width and height of the part that mounts on the back panel.

Greg

I appreciate your time in looking. I actually talked with someone at AB tech support and they are going to try and dig up the CAD file for me.

Greg

Greg, I looked in the new AB May 2008 Industrial controls catalog, it shows a dotted line block dimensioned 11" wide by 11-5/8" high for the 400A disconnect switch, with a note that height varies by fuse class, which isn't much help since you are using a non-fusible disconnect, but at least you have the width.

This is getting rediculous

You wouldn't believe how much time I've wasted with AB phone tech support, on-line forum support, and local AB distributor support on trying to get the dimensions for this part. Normally a ball park would be good enough, but this is a tight panel I'm doing and the exact dimensions are necessary. I'm waiting for both forum support from AB and AB phone support to call me back. It's been more than 24 hours to get an answer from them.

Side note: I did get official pricing from my distributor and the 600 amp version is 1/2 the price of the 400 amp version of this part. Odd.

Greg

Greg Dake said:
... but this is a tight panel I'm doing and the exact dimensions are necessary. ...

Unless you're a better panel-builder than I am (and that's not difficult), please accept a word of warning from experience -- if your panel is going to be that tight, order a bigger panel! You should always leave some grow room -- and the parts will NEVER go in exactly like you've drawn them. If it "just fits" on paper, it won't fit.

I get it...

I've built a lot of panels too. The top right corner is the only tight spot. There's 30% spare room elsewhere in the panel. Thanks for the advice.

Greg

🤷 Its been my experience that even when you allow for expansion, panels are usually too small. Must be a manufacturing problem. So allow for panel shrinkage.

Last edited:
We have one customer that got so tired of their panels filling up over time, they now spec the largest panel they have room for. We current have a 6' x 6' panel that is going to have one flex input module along with a couple relays and a 24V power supply.