Solenoid Air flow drawing

qwemx

Hello !

I need help to understand these arrows on this solenoid
this solenoid is activated electrically by 110 VAC and it is being used to control a Valve .

20191108_121116.jpg

It seems that the BOX on the right is when Spring is working and has pulled the solenoid valve to its Spring return position this is the position when there is no power on the solenoid.

and
the box on the left is when the solenoid is powered and being pulled by electromagnetic force against the spring

I suspect it's a 4/2 solenoid with a possible manual override, however I don't recognize the way it's drawn, based on standards 1 = in and in de-energised state 1 goes to 2, 4 goes to 5 (exh port) Energised 1 goes to 4 and 2 goes to 3 (second exh port). in other words it's a single acting change over.
So in context it probably goes like this, in De-energised state port 1 drives a cylinder back with air on and port 4 goes to exhaust in energised state port 2 drives a cylinder forward and port 2 goes to exhaust.
The arrows shown on left indicate it's de-energised state and the arrows on the right show it's energised state, this is shown opposite to normal convention to any drawing I have come across

Last edited:
#1 Mister X, I was looking for a decent pic when I noticed you had posted one.
My post got a bit muddled, (number dyslexia) but you should get the gist of what I said. Anyway Based on what most of us agree on it is a single acting solenoid valve to drive a cylinder both ways.