PanelView 300-downloading program

Terry Boblitt

We have a 2711-K3A5L1. Having trouble downloading a program change. Need help with driver and the proper cable assembly. I assumed that if I could connect to the micro 1500 attached to it that I could also commect to the 300----wrong.Thanks to all Terry

See PDF below for cables for your RS232 PV with DH485 protocol.
If your laptop/PC has a real serial port then you can use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. If no serial port then your best bet is
a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)
Or a memory card for the PV program.

Last edited:
RSLinx won't let me create a new PIC device while runing as a service. It says to create a new device run Linx as a normal application and then create the device?? What gives??

Go to Start > All Programs > Rockwell Software > RSLinx > RSLinx Launch Control Panel. Click on the STOP button; when the Linx service stops, uncheck the Run as an Application box and hit the START button. You will be able to configure your PIC driver at that point.

See pic below, go to Rslinx launch control. Uncheck always run as a service. Shutdown RSlinx then restart.
EDIT:
mgvol types faster then I do.
launchControl.JPG

UncheckAlwaysrunasService.jpg

I do appreciate all of the help-I feel like I'm running around in circles. When I open linx I get FATAL error Initalizing PIC device driver.When I open up the config. drivers box the pic driver is stopped and I'm unable to start it because the start box is not high lighted?? Is it Friday yet?

Also check that the com port is not in use by another program or device. Eg: If you are running Indramat Drivetop software while trying to open RSLinx with the PIC driver loaded you will get that error. Also might check the status of your COM port in Windows device manager, if in fact as Mickey stated, you have actual serial com port.

Hi Micky, What does RS-232(DH-485) mean? Is that a 232 port or 485 port? And what is the differnece between RS-232(DH-485) and RS-232 (DF1)?

Last time I did ask a similiar question about the communication cable between 2711-K3A17L1 and ML1100, thanks for the answer again.

I didn't not have a real 232 port in my laptop, but I used a in-line usb 232 converter and programmed the pv300 with no problem. Just got a little bored plugging and unpluging one end of the communicating cable (NC21) from the PLC to the laptop again and again.

halosome said:
Hi Micky, What does RS-232(DH-485) mean? Is that a 232 port or 485 port? And what is the differnece between RS-232(DH-485) and RS-232 (DF1)?

Last time I did ask a similiar question about the communication cable between 2711-K3A17L1 and ML1100, thanks for the answer again.

I didn't not have a real 232 port in my laptop, but I used a in-line usb 232 converter and programmed the pv300 with no problem. Just got a little bored plugging and unpluging one end of the communicating cable (NC21) from the PLC to the laptop again and again.

RS232 is an electrical spec.( the familar 9 pin connection) DH485 is a protocol which uses RS485 specs. So RS232(DH485) is RS232 9 pin port with RS485 specs with DH485 protocol.
The difference between RS232(DH485) and RS232(DF1) is same electrical spec.( 9 pin port) different protocol.
I'm sure it all makes sence now?? I know I didn't explain that to well, maybe someone else will jump in and do a better job. Writing is not my best skill.

Last edited:
Looks like PV300 has a memory card slot. If it does, use compact flash card to download/upload program. It is the fastest and easiest way to work with the PVs. The size of CF has to be no more than 32MB(or 64MB, I don't remember now, but my 32MB works fine.)

Terry Boblitt said:
Mickey I do have a real serial port and Rslinx in in control of it. My pc is runing XP w/sp2. Is there any other way to download to the 300?

Thanks for the help----Terry

As stated above the memory card should work.
You also might give this a try, See Text below. Its a RSLinx flush.

Your best bet is going to be to borrow a 1747-UIC from your local AB Distributor. The old PIC driver can have various other problems with new computers depending on the manufacturer, software, and which way the wind blows...