Mitsubishi Communication Assistance please

mrtweaver

Have Mitsubishi Q series PLC with the QJ71 ethernet card. If I take a laptop out with the software I can connect to it no problem thru the RS232 port on the processor. However while the machine is running I want to be able to monitor a few items so I have been attempting to connect to the PLC via Ethernet from my desktop. In the attached screen shot I take and select Ethernet in the PC row and select UDP as the protocol. In the PLC side I take and set the IP addess and such and I know the address is valid because I can take KepServer and using the same address, network and station I can connect no problem. However when the GX Developer tries to connect I get the timeout message that states to check cabling, speed, processor type, etc.. I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance in getting this to work. Thank you.

setup.JPG

Forgot to post error message

When I made the first post I thouht I had added the error message pic in and then when posted noticed I forgot it. So here is a screen shot of the error message that I get after connection timeout. Hope all this info helps. Thanks and have a great day.

error-coms.JPG

Try setting Melsoft on TCP in the ethernet setup, you will not normally need a UDP as well as I have a system running 8 Melsoft TCP & one Kep on UDP but no UDP config, Have you got any other networks on the PLC like NetH It could be the statin number.

WHen I first tried connecting and setting the parameters the software defaults to TCP when it would not connect up that way I started looking at KepServer and since that was set to UDP I figured that was what was wrong. But it would not connect up that way either. I know the ethernet card is set for UDP. I could post a copy of the configuration for that as well. But not till Monday. Here is what I have Q series PLC with the ethernet card, also have a servo cpu in the rack, then on top of that using the remote protocol for remote IO. Also using the Ethernet to communicate to GOT 1000 HMI.

parky said:
Try setting Melsoft on TCP in the ethernet setup, you will not normally need a UDP as well as I have a system running 8 Melsoft TCP & one Kep on UDP but no UDP config, Have you got any other networks on the PLC like NetH It could be the statin number.

also both have to be on same network, your setup shows that both PC and PLC are on "Network 1" (so far so good).

PC and PLC are different units and need unique Station numbers, your setup shows that both PC and PLC are set as Station Number 1 which is wrong.

to communicate with PLC, addresses have to match. What are IP and Subnet mask for each?

Ok you say that the units need unique station numbers. I think if I recall correctly the station number is set in the setup for the ethernet card on the PLC but how do I know what to set the station number for the PC? Now as for the IP addresses, I do know somewhat about IP and the IP for each has to be independant. SO I know the IP for the PC is 10.0.0.101 With a subnet of 255.255.0.0 and a gateway of 10.0.0.1. Now the PLC has an IP of 10.0.0.202 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 So far this seems to match up with my limited IT experience. Like I said what I can not figure out is why if I plug the IP of the PLC into KepServer and use UDP protocol I can connect to the PLC just fine. So that means something is wrong in my GX dev settings. But what?

panic mode said:
also both have to be on same network, your setup shows that both PC and PLC are on "Network 1" (so far so good).

PC and PLC are different units and need unique Station numbers, your setup shows that both PC and PLC are set as Station Number 1 which is wrong.

to communicate with PLC, addresses have to match. What are IP and Subnet mask for each?

i don't remember seeing it explained nor did i look hard for it. just pick some number (2, 22, 50 etc. as long as it is unique).
i did notice that each application (GX Dev, VB program etc.) must haved unique number - even if they run on same PC.
if i get to work on machine that i didn't see in long time but IP address and subnet mask match,
usually I just change the Station Number for my PC (pick something random like 60 or 17) and voila.
hope it works for you too
LH_Online.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Panic Mode, all i did was change the protocol from UDP to TCP and put in a unique station number for the PC side and it worked quite well. I would have thought that both of those sets of numbers would have to be equal to work correctly. Guess I was guessing wrong. Thanks again and have a great day.

panic mode said:
i don't remember seeing it explained nor did i look hard for it. just pick some number (2, 22, 50 etc. as long as it is unique).
i did notice that each application (GX Dev, VB program etc.) must haved unique number - even if they run on same PC.
if i get to work on machine that i didn't see in long time but IP address and subnet mask match,
usually I just change the Station Number for my PC (pick something random like 60 or 17) and voila.
hope it works for you too
LH_Online.jpg