Virtual SCADA

sapoleon

Hi all,
Does somebody made a SCADA server in a Virtual environment (VMware ESX3.5)
We have a client that want to run their scada system, (we are thinking of Cimplicity) on a Virtual server base.

Ideas? Experiences?

Hi We are running Cimplicity v6 under vm ware with no problems. I seem to remember it required a multi-processor and terminal services licences.

Multi Processor is now free but i cant find a link right now

Cheers

I don't think there is a link for the multi-processor.
For version 6.1, you can contact GE Fanuc and they will give you the add-in number.
For higher versions (7.0 and 7.5), I believe the multi-processor is included automatically with the software.

Yeah I have ran RSView32, RSView SE in VMWare server, and FPMI/FSQL in ESXi(which is now free). Another good bare-metal hypervisor will be Sun xVM Server, which should be released in the next few weeks

Cimplicity will run in VMWare, but it is not released for VM (officially). This is to know especially in case of warranty issues, support from GEF side and other possible complaints from your customer.

Joern

It sounds like you're referring to running a Terminal Server as well, which covers running SCADA clients.

Running server packages on virtual machines is generally also a good idea, but different from the thin client approach.

We are integrating VMWare running on some Linux machines.

Some will run RsView and the Server will have the Gateway version of Linx.

Up to now all is OK.