Protection in front of large Softstarter

lalion

Hi, im just wandering what protection I need to put in front of a softstarter for motor on hammer-mill, 150KW (248A). I was originally looking at motor circuit breakers, but pretty pricey at this size, and with the Softstarter already having protection built-in im now hoping that fuses will do the job. Can anyone offer sugestions if and what typre fuses need to be used.

Thanks, Leon

I am currently on a site where we installed a 200 HP AB soft-start & primary protection is a fused disconnect with 400A time delay fuses. The 400 A fuses because wiring from the disconnect to the starter is 500MCM. The starter will protect the load side...

Leon,
To compliment what stasis is saying. The fuses are to protect the wire not the motor. The overloads on the starter are to protect the motor. So essentially you need to size your wire according to your load and possible voltage drop. Then, size your fuses.