RSLinx on Vista

Earl29

I'm not having any luck running RSLinx on Vista in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

The RSLogix500 works so far. Granted my software is older at Version 6.10.10
Our IT guy didn't want to pay ~$2000 for a higher end laptop just to get XP to replace the laptop lost to a flood.

Some users have suggested that Version 8 is compatible.

What would you recommend?
Thanks

RSLinx v2.54 is supposed to work in Vista. What hardware are you connecting to? I hear that legacy drivers are not supported (KT, PCMK, PIC) since they now have the UIC.

I'm not sure I understand the "higher end" comment. Are they talking about buying a laptop with higher specs for Vista and then not needing the specs when they install XP?

I read a post somewhere on installing RS software in Win2k compatibility mode instead of XP on Vista systems.

Try the following:
Install RSLinx in Win98 compatibility mode.
Then set all application file properties to full access for everyone and to run as administrator.
Configure RSLinx service from Task Manager Services button for manual start.

I've done this for RSLinx Lite Classic 2.50.00.20 CPR7

rdrast said:
Higher end laptop? If it runs Vista, it will run XP Pro.

Dump Vista, and install XP Pro. Newegg, Tiger, etc all have XP Pro for sale yet.

Dell and HP will not guarantee the drivers installed on Vista machines will work with XP

RSLinx Lite is a free download to get the latest version 2.54. RSLogix is your issue.

If for some reason you cannot downgrade to XP then consider using a virtual machine program such as VMware Workstation.

However, if a machine runs Vista it should run XP also. I had some issues with a Toshiba laptop that was "designed" for Vista and as such a couple devices either would not install drivers for XP or there were no XP drivers. I ended up disabling them and it was no problem.

OG

controlled said:
Dell and HP will not guarantee the drivers installed on Vista machines will work with XP

Well, I don't know about HP, but I know the last 3 Dells we got here in the past month had (per request) XP installed from Dell.
And in any event, neither Dell nor HP design the interface chips, so there most certainly should be drivers available somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I have Vista at home on 2 machines, and mostly I love it, BUT it is not a good solution for the factory floor from what I can see, and may never be.

VMWare is the way forward. I work for a large engineering company, they used to leave the automation IT to automation dept. but now everyone has a corporate laptop. I had to beg to be able to get around the policy and manage my own IP address, I was told I would run my apps on an XP vm and cant install ANYTHING on the laptop. I agreed providing they gave me the most powerful spec laptop with 4GB ram.

I have been using my Dell Precision ML4300 for the last four months. I have done mostly Siemens work and I use VMWare - it works exceptionally well. I was really panic'd at first but with the laptop being so beefy I reckon its three times faster than my previous D610 XP laptop running S7 directly.

Last week I had to go to site first time since the M4300, I put the D610 in the suitcase for backup and it stayed in the suitcase.

I was online to the PLC in VMware and remote desktop onto the SCADA in Vista...then back to the VMWare to look at inverter parameters online...no problems at all.

Limitations are modem (remote support) and PCMCIA.

Last edited: