Difficulty installing RSLinx 2.55 on Vista

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just got a new laptop and when I tried to install RSLinx, version 2.55, everything looked normal but then the install aborted, I got a message that it was aborted and that no changes had been made to my computer. I tried "run as administrator" as well, same result. I searched the KB and did not find anything helpful (not saying its not here, just that I could not find it).

Suggestions?

Mickey, the link is not working for me - Do you know what the ID# was?
OR what key words you used for your search?
Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.... 63505 is locked. Other locked topics are available to me though, not sure what is up with that.

I wonder if it could be that I have Vista Home Ultimate but the 63503 note in the second link says Vista Business or Vista Home Basic.

Hmmm.... 63505 is locked. Other locked topics are available to me though, not sure what is up with that.

I wonder if it could be that I have Vista Home Ultimate but the 63503 note in the second link says Vista Business or Vista Home Basic.

Hopefully someone with the "Key" will help out. Maybe a Gold key instead of a red key.

Here are the OS requirements from that link:

that link said:
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional, XP SP1, or XP SP2 or XP SP3.
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008.
  • Microsoft Windows 2003 SP2 R2.
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4.
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Business [32-bit] or Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic [32-bit]

Hi,
From the help / support search results in Vista:

User Account Control Overview

User Account Control (UAC) is a new set of infrastructure technologies in this version of Windows that helps prevent malicious programs, sometimes called "malware," from damaging a system, while also helping organizations to deploy a better-managed desktop.
With UAC, applications and tasks always run in the security context of a non-administrator account, unless an administrator specifically authorizes administrator-level access to the system. UAC stops the automatic installation of unauthorized applications, and prevents inadvertent changes to system settings.

Search thru the help files for how to turn it off.

Hope that helps
BD

I think the critical thing may be they recommend Vista Business - no sign of Home Premium in the advice.
Most PLC software and SCADA software will only run on Vista Business.
I love it - turned off UAC and have never had a problem - never had a blue screen of death - had them regularly with XP Pro.