Opinions wanted: Logix & Point I/O use.

Jeev

Recently I've had someone who's asked me "Why don't we use a ControlLogix or a CompactLogix controller, but instead of using the larger backplane and I/O cards, use Point I/O over Ethernet/IP?". I then rattled off a few pros and cons not entirely liking the idea, but I'm interested to see what others think.

Anyone?

Jeev.

We use Control Logix with a wide variety of remote IO types on a combination of ControlNet, DeviceNet and EthernetIP. We very rarely use any 1756 IO at all and the idea of having all of your IO in the same location as the PLC now seems completely alien to me. Discrete and Analogue IO is normally FlexIO but much of the IO we used to use has been absorbed into network connections to intelligent motor control gear (AB E3's and VFD's), smart instruments and other controllers.
Andybr

For low density remote locations, we do utilize the Point IO. For our higher density remote locations, we use the 1756 IO. We do not use EthernetIP for our communications media - we use ControlNet. Only due to our own infrastructure requirements. But I do not see any issue other than the hardening of your particular Ethernet system for IO.