Servo Drive and PLC communication...

wannalearn

Where do I go for good, reliable information on connecting a servo motor, encoders, and such to a PLC...?

I have a MicroLogix 1000 (1761-L16AWA) and was hoping that I could somehow use it for connecting several servo motors in a machine modification project coming up soon.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wannalearn

Hi:

To properly give advice I feel you need to provide more information of your scope, in reference to the servos. Motion control is kind of complex. In other hand, the PLC is very limited.

I feel is possible you control a servo with digital outputs, and read status with digital inputs,but it going to be dificult to send data as setpoints or commands.

I have done servos but with the ML1100. Specifically IDT4, which is integrated servo motor-drive from AMK, this is using Modbus-RS485. They are reliable with small torque (about 4 NM).

My perception is you may need, for a little PLC, at least modbus to do something usefull.

Regards

Somewhat off-topic, sorry to hi-jack the thread:

My hardware knowledge is somewhat lacking...what is the difference between a VFD and a servo drive? Or are VFDs a type of servo?

Wannalearn,

This is a pretty broad question but I will share my experience. The fact that you are using a very low-end PLC will limit your choices. I have had good experience using a Red Lion G3 to control parameters in an Allen-Bradley Ultra3000 servo drive. The G3 could also interface with your PLC so everything could be talking together. But I would highly recommend that you look at upgrading your Micrologix.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=22687