1761-NET-ENI with Micrologix 1000

dookey

Hi all, I've been a long time reader on the forums but need to ask for some help.

We have many Micrologix 1000 around site and wanted to put some on ethernet, we went for a 1761-NET-ENI and have set it up as described in the user manual, we can see the 1761-NET-ENI ok through ETHIP in RSLinx, but not the micrologix which I believe is correct according to the manual, we have set up with the correct IP through 'ethernet devices' in RSLinx and expected to see the Micrologix, but can only get unrecognized device with a yellow question mark & red cross. It also pings ok through CMD
Is there something I have missed somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jake

Are the baud rate settings matched?

I think you need to set up the comms between the ENI and the ML1000.

(Out of curiosity was it not cheaper/easier to replace the ML1000 with ML1100 with it all built in?)

You have to update the EDS files(electronic data sheets) for rslinx. You can download them from rockwell website.

Red X means it's not an EDS problem

Yellow question mark AND red X means that RSLinx cannot communicate at all with the device.

Yellow question mark without red X might be an EDS or other identity / revision problem.

Use a browser to confirm that the device you're pinging is really the device you think it is, then start looking into your firewall settings. You need TCP Ports 2222 and 44818 to be open.

Many thanks again to everyone who replied, as it turned out the 1761-NET-ENI unit itself was faulty, I tried another one we had and everything worked perfectly first time.
To answer Timbo, I'm not really sure, it's a project i inherited, the ML1100 does seem an easier and cheaper option.

I ran into a bug similar to this using a NET-ENI with a micrologix and a panelview plus. Don't allow Linx Enterprise to autobrowse, manually add your processor instead and you will have no issues. Otherwise you will see the Net ENI module but not the processor and you cannot establish communications.

Giz.

We have about 50 micrologix with the NetENI modules networked together and I would advise that you will have plenty of issues(problems) with the NetENI solution. We have some that **** out periodically. Communications between the PLC and NetENI just halts, and a PLC restart is required. Pretty sad. I would exhaust my serial networking possibilities and evaluate PLC replacement before I'd spend the money on the NetENIs again.

Another issue I personally experienced with NET-ENI:
I had MicroLogix and Hakko HMI talking through NET-ENI.
Hakko is a great little cheap HMI solutions. One of the best features - it boots up and starts polling PLC VERY quick. In fact, SO quick that in case of power cucle it starts polling NET-ENI BEFORE it properly boots up. And in this case NET-ENI just hangs up. I tried few NET-ENI and they all did that, and later Rockwell confirmed the problem.
Delaying HMI polling fixed the problem...

early revisions of the micrologix 1000 also have problems with the net-eni interface.. we had one in the plant that would halt for no reason, we swapped plc's with a non-networked machine that had a later revision letter and everything works fine now.