RSLynx will not auto config

Baja Joe

Hi,

So i have an issue with getting my laptop to talk via RSLynx to SLC 504. I have done this type of work before but I have not had problems getting RSlynx to work.

Info and background
rslynx 2.20.02
xp pro v 2002 sp3

So i go into rslynx and config for the rs232 df1 setup and then hit autoconfig and it posts the failed cable error messsage. So I thought that is odd cause I have used this cable before.

So I go use a buddys computer with my cable and boom is links right up? He says you need the latest rslynx versions so pay your money and upgrade. Plus all AB stuf really only works on win 2000 but that is another story.

I searched on here and only found a few refs to this specifc problem.

I tried to turn off the com 1 port settings for the advanced, and UNCHECKED the box for the Use FIFO Buffers and that did not work either.

I do not have a antivirus on this computer and no firewall running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have not needed to service these older machines so this is the first time I have tried to hook up to this PLC.

But we have older 503 in the shop and it found this PLC on the DF1 node browsing just fine?

so I just loaded RS lynx on another xp laptop and moved the lic just in case this other laptop that runs Step7 software maybe was having issues...

Still no auto config. This older laptop is just running windows with no other software.

What device do you have selected in the configure screen? It should be SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview.

He says you need the latest rslynx versions so pay your money and upgrade.
If all you're doing is plc programming, go to AB's website and download the latest version of RSLinx Lite -- IT'S FREE. I know someplace there's a list of minimum RSLinx versions required for comm to each family of PLCs, but right now I'm not finding it (Mickey will have it ;) )

Plus all AB stuf really only works on win 2000 but that is another story.
This is absolutely wrong! It works just fine with XP-Pro, SP3. I did it just the other day. But it does work on some computers and not others...

Bajo Joe,

Have you had this computer hooked up before you got SP3?

I have XP Pro SP2 and refuse to go to SP3 for fear I will have the same problems you are having. I see no need to upgrade since my laptop is used mainly for programming and sees little time on the internet.

I haven't had any problems as far as I can recall using Rockwell Software with SP2, not saying that Rockwell themselves have their quirks.

FWIW -

I'm running RSLinx V 2.54 with XP SP3 and I have had no problems with the DF1 driver, just used it this morning actually. I have also used the PCMK card for DH+ and for DH485 without issues.

Give it a whirl. Bill Gates don't design his software with Rockwell in mind. They all just throw their software out there and fix it as it goes.