What the difference of encoder absolute & incremental

zai_jnr

Hi everyone,

Really need to know what the difference between rotary encoder absolute type and incremental type.. Make me feel crazy to find the difference between this type o_O....what output phase A,B,Z in incremental encoder? How to use this signal..everyone know this matter..can share with me? :(....10Q

Hi everyone,

Really need to know what the difference between rotary encoder absolute type and incremental type.. Make me feel crazy to find the difference between this type o_O....what output phase A,B,Z in incremental encoder? How to use this signal..everyone know this matter..can share with me? :(....10Q

Think of an incremental encoder as serial, and absolote as parallel.
Think of incremental, YOU have to figure out where the encoder is, and absolute IT tells you where it is.
Incremental after a power failure, you no longer now where it is, absolute after a power failure still knows where it is.

Incrementals give you a pulse train indicating units of movement and direction. An absolute gives you a binary bit signal scaled in bits of resolution for one encoder shaft turn.

With an incremental encoder, you will always need a home position sensor.

Most applications I have seen incremntals on linear motion to move an axis, and absolute on a master gear of a machine to indicate where in the in the rotation of 360 degrees the machine is at.

For myself this is my view on these 2 encoders.

I use incremental to tell me how fast I am getting there. Absolute tells me where there is.

Another way: Incremental sends me a pulse for movement. Absolute sends me a word.

Mickey, curlyandshem, bits n bytes, clay b......Thanx a lot for your feedback and reply for my question..your article and info really help for...thanx a lot... any one still one to add more info for this question?:p he he he ..

Bits n bytes,

I cannot open your link info..received file already corrupted
I just verified that the link does work. Try this, "Right Click" on the link, then in dropdown box, "Left Click" on "Save Target as", instead of opening the file, might work.

Hi Zai Jnr,

Incremental: means you will count the pulses,
and every pulse is the same.

Absolute: means every pulse has got a unique code.
The pulses can be coded in for example Gray-code.
So every position is unique.