Automation Direct opc server

handewood

I have been doing a bit of research on this and cannot get all of the info I need. I am putting together a project for my home. I am going to use AD's 205 plc to control my home heating/AC tied to Windows Home Server media server.

I am trying to find out if KepDirect will allow me to speak from the server to the PLC to change room temps. The catch is I want to use Axims (wifi) for each room to control all of this. I am also going to tie all of my media throughout the house through the server.

I also am going to design my own HMI using VB and touchscreen monitors with mini itx motherboards at two points in the home as well. I am looking to purchase DirectSoft and KepDirect software already.

The question is what else will I need to get for the pocket pc's and the server pc to tie all of this together. I know I will need drivers for all of this to talk with each other but $800 for a driver suite is not an option. On eBay there is a guy who sells drivers for AD's ethernet for Activex. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If this is for a home system, and 100% uptime is not critical, you can use the demo mode in KepServerEX. The drivers will run for 2 hours then time out, simply write a batch file to kill the kepware service and restart it every 90 mins or so. Unless your uptime is super critical, this should work for you on a home level.

That sounds like it would be ok. My question is what is the difference between kepserver and kepdirect. And do I need both. I have been reading this for weeks and cannot make out completely what both of them do exactly to speak to the plc. If I only need kepserver and not kepdirect I do not have a problem spending $800 but if I need both now you are talking $1100 which is not bad as a person leaving Allen Bradley for AD but reaching my allowed spending cap.
Can someone please shine a little more light on some of these FUZZY areas. Thanks ahead.

Last edited:
You only need one of them.
The kepserver with the automationdirect suite will communicate to all of your AD controllers.

Sounds like a cool project - be sure to post pics. Do you already have the PLC? I'd be hesitant to spend $800 on an OPC server for home. Certainly get your system working with the demo before committing. You might contact Kepware and try to get a comp/discounted copy for this purpose.

I don't see how the media/Home Server has anything to do with the PLC/Heating controls system, although both are cool ideas. I'd be happy to share media distribution tips if you get more specific on your setup.

Last edited:
Unless you are just wanting to make your own HMI package why not use WinLog Lite? This is a free software package that will allow you 24 tags of access to the plc for 15 mins. You can buy the lite version for about 70 USD and this will allow you to keep it running for as long as you want. It has the driver (MODBUS RTU TCP/IP) that will allow direct access to the ethernet card for the DL 205. I currently have this working at my plant. This will also work on the DL 06? Not sure why you would use the 205 for home use? (I am currently using a combo of 05,06 and 205 PLCs on a network to control several things at my plant.) One of the areas has an IDEC PLC and for this I have to use the kepware demo to talk to it... due to the IDEC Ehternet module has no pass thru. Dont forget that Direct Logix also has its own little touch screens too. Not sure about your wireless config.

Home Automation Project

Thanks for all the discussion about our products - Kepware's KEPServer. I just wanted to clarify that Automation Direct is a private label partner of our KEPServer product (calling it KEPDirect). The functionality is equivilant to ours technically, while there are some limitations to the number of controllers you can access at one time. We are always looking for interesting application stories. If you are interested in sharing the details and working on a story that we would work on publishing, please contact me off the board - [email protected] 🍻

Sounds to me like a free software license in exchange for a story. 🍺

Thanks for all the discussion about our products - Kepware's KEPServer. I just wanted to clarify that Automation Direct is a private label partner of our KEPServer product (calling it KEPDirect). The functionality is equivilant to ours technically, while there are some limitations to the number of controllers you can access at one time. We are always looking for interesting application stories. If you are interested in sharing the details and working on a story that we would work on publishing, please contact me off the board - [email protected] 🍻