Automation Direct CM5 HMI Review

Dale87

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone tried Automation Directs new CM5 HMI. We've been the EA9's for a few years now with minimal complaints. A few failures here and there but for the price I can't complain. Hope they haven't lowered the quality with the new model.

I haven't yet, but I downloaded the software to look at its capabilities. Based on pricing it is a replacement for the EA3 series, but has the capabilities of the EA9 series. I am probably going to use a CM5 for my next project at work.

They have increased pricing on the older C-more screens to push the CM5, a colleague had told me this yesterday I didn't personally verify it.

I haven't yet, but I downloaded the software to look at its capabilities. Based on pricing it is a replacement for the EA3 series, but has the capabilities of the EA9 series. I am probably going to use a CM5 for my next project at work.
I would be interested in hearing how it worked for you when you are able to reply. Thank you.

I have a couple in a project I am working on. Reasonably easy to program. This should be a good test when warmer weather gets here and I can complete the project. They are mounted outside in a "carport", subject to Illinois temperatures. Will be in full morning sun and will possibly be exposed to rain if blowing. Didn't know where they were to be mounted and will probably be looking for some kind of cover for them.

Funny you bumped the thread. I started the project a few days ago and started working on the CM5 screens. Basically it is like working with the Cmore EA9 series, but the units are less expensive then the EA9 series.

I'm still using one of there older panels that has the "C More Remote HMI" app. I use my phone to log into this panel. Do the new CM5 panels offer this functionality? I dont see anything about it being mentioned in there product guides on there website?

They have some upgrades over the EA9 like additional ethernet port and MQTT support. IIRC they also support JPEG now. Otherwise they function the same. Remote app is still there, but still no VNC support or direct access to the HMI via web browser so you'll have to use the app for mobile, or download the client for desktop.

Haven't had a ton of issues with the EA9s hardware wise, have had some fail though. The past couple years the EA9 prices have been jacked up fairly high and the limitations of their software and slow support regarding issues pushed me to Weintek. The way their runtime operates doesn't fit with some HMI design styles. I prefer overviews with hierarchical pop-ups for deeper settings. However, CMore updates all pop-ups even when they are not called which cripples the processor and results in lags greater than 10seconds in some cases. No support for VNC or web access means clunky login for customers and results in them not utilizing the feature.

The IDE still lacks a find/replace to this day so you'll be stuck with a lot of clicking if you ever need to update variables.

I've heard theyre jacking up the price on EA9s to phase them out in favor of the CM5s That is some interesting info about the popups and lag, thank you.

As a workaround, you can move whatever you want to copy to the screen or object libraries and bring it into your new project.

Are you able to copy and paste objects between projects in the new CM5 software????

This can not be done with the EA9 software

If you have an existing project with a EA9 Cmore, you cannot directly import objects from that project into a CM5 project. Last year I did a weight scale system using a EA9 and now I am doing a different project using a CM5. What I did was take the EA9 project and import it to the CM5 software and saved it. Now I was able to copy objects from that project into my new one.