Green With Yellow Stripe

jmgpe

Many electrical codes call for using green wires with yellow stripes for grounding. Does IEC 204-1 or any other code require that it be a spiral stripe?

This is a quote from this page

"Equipment-grounding conductors (NFPA 79, Sec. 16.1.2 and 16.1.3). You must use the color green, with or without one or more yellow stripes, to identify the equipment-grounding conductor (where insulated or covered). International and European standards require the use of a bicolor green-and-yellow for this purpose (see IEC 204-1 for specific requirements). You can use conductors of other colors, provided the insulation or cover is appropriately identified at all access points.

For grounded control circuits, you may use a green (with or without one or more yellow stripes) or a bare conductor to connect the transformer terminal to a grounding terminal on the control panel."

I haven't seen anything requiring a spiral, but the customer can probably spec whatever they want. If the concern is that a stripe may not always be visible use a wire or shrink with a few yellow stripes.

Last edited: