RSView32 has hosed itself with the almighty hose

tomalbright

I have RSView32 terminals, and for some reason, none of them will communicate. This all worked fine, until my compadre did "something" and now I can't get anything to talk. Network is good on the two left alive, but I get this error on startup:

URL Download failed. Check that your Internet connection settings are configured correctly and that the Server is running either Microsoft Peer Web Services or Microsoft Internet Information Server.

This is a PC based system, one as the RAD server, RSView32 terminals as client. There's an app note on this, here's the link:

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp....p.php?p_faqid=6428&p_sid=*bS5ibdj&p_lva=48972

Clients are WinNT, home PC is a win2000, and an XP Pro on the alternate. Like I said, it's worked fine until this week, the versions are FYI.

Ideas?

I swapped IP addresses between PCs, one apparently doesn't have RAD, but there was no communication error, just a RAD failure. I will reinstall RSView32 and RAD and see what happens.

You may want to check DCOM settings and firewall settings. I know windows update can hose a lot of things between client and server on the RAD system. Also check on the server that IIS is running. One other thing to check is that in a startup macro that the displayserveron is running.

No windows update on Win2000, lol. No firewall either. IIS seems to be running. I got a different error when connecting to the other PC, just about finished reinstalling RSView32...

...nuts. Let me find RAD.

I think I reinstalled RAD, but ughghghgh. I get a "can't connect to (my ip address). Class not registered."

Information is scarce.

Last edited:
tom,
this probably don't help but, "class not registered" usually means that a "dll" file is either not installed at all or was installed but the windows registry does not have it registered yet. Yet meaning that the PC will need re-booted before the registry changes take full effect. The dll file could be part of the RSView32 install or a part of Window$.
Seems like odds lean toward that your compadre hosed the server instead of all the clients. Just playing the odds. Maybe the i/p addresses are all hosed up? Or server is not working at all.

Good luck
BD

Tom.
When I have seen this error message (often) the problem is almost always that the Internet Explorer settings have been changed on the client machine. Our clients generally run on peoples office desktop machines and the settings can be changed by log on scripts etc. The most common problem is that IE is not set to bypass the proxy server for local connections or the RAD server IP adresses need to be added to the exceptions list.
Andybr

Looks like I have it solved, sorta. I loaded a backup disk with the older software. That seems to work.

There's nothing else on the network other than PLC and screens. We won't belabor the "what the other guy did" because I have no way of knowing. All the fixes I have made didn't work. I'm currently working on a drive install of the old stuff.

The client PCs are all Rockwell, and the user interface is locked out, so no changes there.