Montoring temp in a Server Rack

SCADA_Dude

I was wondering if anyone has a found an easy way to monitor the temperature of a server rack without a PLC.

I'm thinking of a small modbus/tcp device that sits in the rack, with either an analog or even a discrete that is set with a dial for the setpoint would be fine.

Servers are a big investment, it would be nice if scada could alert the operator if the air conditioning fails, but installing a PLC in the sever room with one input very inconvenient!

Thanks!

I would expect that your server management software can monitor it own temperature, and send an email when it exceeds an alarm limit, all without the intervention of the scada software running on it.

Like Okie said most server management software will monitor and either email or sound an alarm. I also have used a rackmount system that monitors system tempature and fan speed on mulitple servers and gives a digital display.

Temperature is something the BIOS monitors on your PC

I used something like Windows Power Toys or Tweak UI to monitor mine from the task bar a few years ago cant remember, so

I did a google search using PC TEMPERATURE and turned up several options that you could follow

Thanks for the feedback - Yes, I use the Dell & HP server management software. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to bring these errors into the SCADA system & Alarming functions. (By way of a tagname & driver)

There are several advantages with this approach (if its possible):

1. I already have a dedicated SCADA alarm dialer with personnel schedules, contact info etc that all the operators are trained on.
2. The operators have no idea how to manage a server (or in some cases even navigate MS windows). The HMI is easy for them and all the alarms have clear descriptions.
3. Security - the HMI is configured to prevent operators from getting to the desktop in the first place.

That Omega device is getting very close to what I am looking for! I just wish it had modbus TCP or serial port on it.