Accessing Horner XLe though local network

St Bubba

I've been trying to access my Horner XLe 102 through my local network. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do this, but for some reason i can't get it done. I've tried to enter the IP address in every option I can find on Cscape, but it isn't able to see the PLC. Yet, I can ping it through command window. Been working on this for about 2 weeks now and I'm getting frustrated.

Does anyone have any ideas that may help me access Horner over a LAN?

You may have better luck posting on the Horner site.
Haven't used the Ethernet on a LAN but the obvious pops in mind.
IP correct? Sub Net the same? Do you enable NET reads and writes through the software?
If you're using the latest cScape have you set up the protocols (from navigation tab)?

Set up for the new XL6, similar to the XLe though (taken from the XL6 manual):
7.2 Ethernet COM Module (XEC) Option​
An Ethernet COM module can be installed to allow Cscape programming of an XL6 OCS over a Local
Area Network or over the Internet. In addition, the Horner OPC Server can be installed on a PC to allow
other standard PC applications (such as database and spreadsheets programs) access to XL6 OCS
register data.
The Ethernet COM module supports 10 BaseT (10 MHz) and 100 BaseTx (100 MHz) as well as both half
and full duplex communication. Both the connection speed and the duplex are auto-negotiated.
Although the physical connection between the Ethernet COM Module and the Local Area Network is done
using a standard Ethernet cable (CAT5 or better with RJ45 modular plug), a​
Serial Port Tunnel protocol
is employed that makes the Ethernet COM Module appear as a serial port to Cscape or OPC Server
software running on the PC.
On the XL6 OCS end of the Serial Port Tunnel, the Ethernet COM module should be properly configured
using the XL6 OCS System Menu. This configuration consists of making Ethernet the Default
Programming Port and setting its target IP Address, Net Mask and optionally the Gateway IP Address.
The Gateway IP Address is required if the XL6 OCS will be accessed from outside the Local Area
Network (e.g. the Internet).
On the PC end of the Serial Port Tunnel, the PC should be connected to the Local Area Network (or to
the Internet).
After installing and configuring the Ethernet COM module, Cscape or OPC Server software should be set
up to communicate to one of the “virtual” serial ports, at which point they should function as if a “real” PC

serial port was connected to the XL6 OCS
MJ1 serial port.

The part about making the Ethernet default access port should help.

Last edited:
We've done this through their C-Scan network. I've found the Horener tech support guys to be very knowledgeable and helpful. Have you contacted them?

I've been in contact with these guys also, i was just thinking I could get a faster reply here. Thaks for responding guys

Are you using the Ethernet com module (this is an extra module that plugs into the XLe)? Or are you trying to connect throught the MJ1 port?