RedLion home alarm

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am at the point I need to install an alarm in the shop.

Layout
RedLion HMI & AB (I/O)
Door switches, IR motion, Temp. rise & fall, and a phoneline to the outside world for SMS notification. UPS for 10 hrs of backup minimum.
RedLion to check the phone line every 10 minutes & if it fails sound a siren

Anybody have some good ideas?

RedLion to check the phone line every 10 minutes & if it fails sound a siren

Will the phone line be used for anything else?
What if someone is using the phone, will the red lion know not to try it to look for a dial tone?

Personally, I would use a network connection and use email for SMS messages.

You cannot send an SMS via a landline phone. You would need to either use Ethernet and send an email, like jimbo suggested, or use a cell modem. If you are using a G3, we just released a GSM option card that connects directly to the G3, all you need to do is provide a SIM card to send the SMS.

Regards,
Dan

Nothing easy, the only way to do that would be to use Raw Serial to send ASCII commands to the modem, at which point you will lose the PPP functionality.

Regards,
Dan

Dan thanks for the good news I wouldn't want it to be without a little challenge.

FYI, it could be a HUGE challenge if you want to do anything more than just check the line (that is assuming there is actually an AT command to do that, or send out a numeric page.

Regards,
Dan

The cell option card may be your best bet. You could sound a siren if the signal is lost, or the G3 stops talking to the option card for any reason. I can help with that programming.

Regards,
Dan