RedLion alternatives

bitsandbytes

Is there anything else on the market comparable with the redlion CSMSTSX? I need a device that "reliably" logs data and can do the SMS/SMTP messaging. I have nothing but problems using the redlion hardware with allen-bradley processors.

bitsandbytes

We have several different drivers available for the Allen Bradley products, allowing us to be very compatible. Many of our applications include AB products so if there is a problem I would like to know. We would really like to help you out, my email is [email protected] if you would prefer.

Thanks
Jeremy

What I am getting are massive alarm blocks triggering on and then cycling back off. Unfortunately, this is tied into a SMTP messaging system as well. So my client is receiving false text messages every 30 minutes. The alarms can't be cycling this way, otherwise the process would have shut-down. This is not the first occurance of this. I have 1 second delays on the the flags linked to alarms. In addition the sequence of the alarms are not even contiguous with the order in the PLC. I have attached a jpg.

Have you considered that your problem may not be with the Red Lion device at all? It may be due to the NET-ENI module. I have several ML1500 PLCs communicating with Wonderware via NET-ENI modules and I have noticed that if I try to collect more than 32 words of data, some words will drop out and I will get 0 instead of valid data. For this reason, I am currently replacing all of the ML1500's and NET-ENI modules in favor of more reliable PLCs with Ethernet communications.

Just a thought.
Regards

KP: Interesting...

B&B: Just so you know this gets our attention, a tech support guy, the product manager and I just had a quick corridor meeting on this topic. We would really like to get our hands on some Ethernet captures to see what's going on over the wire so we can get to the bottom of this. We don't like people looking for replacements!!! :)

Given my experience with both Red Lion and AB, which is pretty hefty over the last 4 years, I'd wager that there's nothing wrong with the Red Lion, but with either the AB ethernet communication or the SMPT configuration. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I've not worked with the NET-ENI module much. If there is a problem with the Red Lion, I'm pretty sure they will be able to get you a solution that won't require you to replace your hardware.

$

I have to chime in and say I had a problem with RedLion local support, and RedLion went above and beyond to solve my issues. I would highly recommend them and the tech service is outstanding.

Have you considered that your problem may not be with the Red Lion device at all? It may be due to the NET-ENI module. I have several ML1500 PLCs communicating with Wonderware via NET-ENI modules and I have noticed that if I try to collect more than 32 words of data, some words will drop out and I will get 0 instead of valid data. For this reason, I am currently replacing all of the ML1500's and NET-ENI modules in favor of more reliable PLCs with Ethernet communications.

Just a thought.
Regards

the company I work for now had alot of issues with the net eni and the ml1500's with comms dropping out and locking up. they moved up to slc500 to get away from those issues.

I remembered reading a few weeks ago that you could replace the net eni with a digi port server. you may want to look into that.

I have now had the redlion data logger operating as expected for a week now. Thank you guys very much. I ended up switching the cabling around and running the redlion through DF1 instead of the ENI.