Looking for an IP gadget

BillRobinson

🔨 Anybody out there know of a software tool that will allow you to quickly change your IP settings? It's a pain when I have to go through windows to change my IP to a static address to get onto my controller networks.

Network -> Status -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> Properties -> Use the following IP -> makes Bill a dull boy
Network -> Status -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> Properties -> Use the following IP -> makes Bill a dull boy

For XP or 2000, make up some batch files.

Command to set static ip address:

netsh interface ip set address local static (IP addy) (sn mask) (gateway) (metric of gateway)

Example:
netsh interface ip set address local static 192.168.1.52 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 1

To set back to DHCP:
netsh interface ip set address local source=dhcp

One common trick is to use the TCP/IP Alternate Configuration. If your PC gets a link on the network adapter but doesn't get a DHCP address from a DHCP server, in about 45 seconds it will revert to the Alternate Configuration, which can be a static IP address for your automation network.

This works fine in my lab where I'm only connecting to one little network, but may not be good in your environment.

Real network studs use the NETSH command line tool, whether in batch commands or directly from the command prompt.

There is a piece of software called Netswitcher which does exactly what you are asking. You setup various profiles then just select the one you want to use at a given time. Works well. Don't know what the cost is. It can pre-installed on my company laptop.

Thanks for the link and info.!
And all along I thought I was the only one who could not figure out how to quickly change my IP address when I needed to hook to all my different controllers!(y)

Now, to get to work on that "net studs" thing.
🍻🍻🍻