SLC500 software

Fyodor

Hello, I repair HMI's but I would like to learn PLC as well. I found in a box an AB SLC500 complete set of hardware lying around at work. I'll be setting it up next week and I would like to know what software do I need to communicate and program the SLC500. Where can I get the software?
Thanks.

I was actually thinking of a free software. Even something that runs on DOS would do. I don't think my boss would pay for a software for the SLC500. I would just like to setup a hardware that is from a scrap box, I think it would be helpful in testing HMI's that I repair especially the ones with PLC communication problems. We have the hardware so we probably have bought it a long time ago and shouldn't it come with a software? If it does, does AB provide a copy of the software (downloadable) for customers who lost or corrupted the software that came with the hardware?

Thanks.

As far as I know, Allen Bradley does not have free software for the SLC500. If your company bought a piece of equiptment from a vendor that provided a support contract, they might not have furnished anything but their phone number if repairs were needed.

free software

You need APS. it works under DOS and doesn't need a licence diskette.it is possible to copy and to run it on several computers .
but illegally... they had no measurement in order to prevent its illegal use. it was the matter of reliance of the manufacturer to the purchaser.After that they introduced RSLogix500 with license diskette.
and i am not sure if APS can communicate with SLC5/05 throgh ethernet port. Maybe some other friends can help you about it. But if you use RS port , then you can set up the communication.

Thanks for the tips guys, but I finally found the software that I need burried together with a laptop that is on the scrap box as well. It actually contained both the APS and the RSlogic500 software. I'm now only transferring the software to a different laptop since the laptop that has the program has a cracked display panel.

Cheers :)

Just make sure you get the activation key off the old hard drive otherwise rslogix will not run. If you need help post it up here there are tons of guys that can help you out with that.

Drewcrew6

Aps

You need APS. it works under DOS and doesn't need a licence diskette.it is possible to copy and to run it on several computers .
but illegally... they had no measurement in order to prevent its illegal use. it was the matter of reliance of the manufacturer to the purchaser.After that they introduced RSLogix500 with license diskette.
and i am not sure if APS can communicate with SLC5/05 throgh ethernet port. Maybe some other friends can help you about it. But if you use RS port , then you can set up the communication.

Where do I get this software?

An 8-year jump between post and reply.. that might be a record.

I have two comments that I'll add to the current question:

1. APS has been obsolete for over ten years. RA does not support or sell or provide it anymore. Even if you can run it on a DOS computer (or get it to run in a DOS shell in Windows) it will only support controllers built in its era, i.e. 1990-1995. Anything built in the past fifteen years or so, including all MicroLogix controllers, will be unsupported by APS.

2. RSLogix 500 "Micro Starter Lite" is available at no charge from the Allen-Bradley website. Go to AB.COM and search for "RSLogix 500 Free Download" and it's the second link.

The first link from that search is the RSLogix 500 product page, where you'll see the part number for the RSLogix 500 Starter Edition, which is the minimum you need to program an SLC-5/05 (which was mentioned earlier in this thread, eight years ago, so it's possible the most recent querent is thinking about modular SLC controllers).

RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite supports only the MicroLogix 1000 (1761-xxxx) and the MicroLogix 1100 (1763-xxxx) controllers. It does not support any modular SLC controllers or any other MicroLogix models.

Ken beat me to the punch. What wasn't metioned is that MicroLogix 1100's can be had for as little as $500 (or less I think) so it's not to much of an investment. You can do a lot with them as well. With that said, depending on what version of SLC you have and how much equipment you have you could probably sell the SLC stuff and more than pay for a MicroLogix 1100