Creating a selection list in RSVIEWSE

plaurent

I'm a new developer (for RSVIEW... been developing software in other languages for about 15 years), and have taken the AB classes... but I'm in a fog.

Using RSView Studio 4, I need to create a dropdown list that allows a maintenance person to select a common name from the list and submit its backend numerical value to a tag in the AB PLC. I've looked at Control Lists, but am uncertain as to whether this is the correct tool, and if it is, how to use it in the method described. Fundamentally, we're selecting a serial a serial number from a list and submitting its calibration value to the PLC.

Many Thanks in advance for your assistance.

control list selector

The control list will do what you need. Just use an integer or floating point register for the tag under the connections tab. Set the number of states you have on the general tab, then go into the states tab to define each state. Enter the text you want displayed in the caption for each state, and also the value you want assigned to the tag used in the connections tab when that state is selected from the control list.

Very helpful, thank you. It appears, however, that only integers (not floating point numbers) can be input as a 'Value' under the States tab. It also appears that the up and down arrows need to be used, as I can't seem to drop the selection list down like you would in a web app, correct?

Any suggestions for the use of Control Lists and the use of floating points as values?

control list selector

Once the box is highlighted, or selected with the mouse, I use the up and down keys on the keyboard, and press enter to accept. I've never tried to do with strictly mouse control,I'll have to look into that. As far as floating points, you could use an integer with 0 to however many states you have, then do a compare in the logic to move a value into a floating point register, depending on the value of the integer word.

You can use a floating point if you need a value outside the range of an integer, but it wont let you use decimals in the state. There you would have to do in logic with compare and move.

Thank you for your help! I'm stuck in the paradigms of other languages, but quickly coming to appreciate ladder and RSVIEW as well. We're fortunate to have this forum...

I have done a VB app with the microsoft forms ActiveX in FactoryTalk ViewSE - works very well - gives you the drop down list like you want.