creating networks of plcs via bluetooth

eng.sarah

hi everybody
i am new in the plc world and i desperately need help :D
is it possible and how can i create a network of group of s7-300 connected together via bluetooth and can i control this network by sending sms via bluetooth too

Basically, there is no way to install a bluetooth driver in a PLC that I know of. There are bluetooth serial interfaces available but these are generally used as programming ports with the bluetooth driver installed in a PC to talk to them.
You could experiment with Promi ports but they are not cheap and I would not think they will work.
Good luck.

What I have seen of bluetooth, 1/2 dozen or so devices that I have, it is not ready for the industrial world. Too unstable and unpredictable yet.

I have been connected to 4 x Omron CJ1 PLCs - additionally there were several other PLCs connected that were networked to one PLC to which I was connected.
I was able to view/change programs online to a total of 6 PLCs via a bluetooth connection from my laptop and Promi bluetooth serial ports when about 50 metres away from the PLCs with NO dropouts.
I thought that was pretty good - just have to make sure you are not out of range.
By the way, the longest time I stayed connected was 9 hours.
Just bear in my the connection is serial and is slow - even at 115kbaud - and even slower with all those PLCs online at a time.
I was even able to 'pass through' the PLC serial ports to connected touch screens but that is really slow but works.

Bluetooth Network

I have done a project where we used Ethernet/Bluetooth units and they seemd ok when we started, but It was on a plant where the Automated Guided Vehicles were moving around. The problem was we would loose communication due to antenna types/broadcast areas/Bluetooth Ranges. But i agree they are not ready for industrial applications. We used units from Phoenix. In a fixed location i think they worked very well. We could do Inter PLC communication using the Ethernet FC's (All Siemens S7-300) , Program and troubleshoot all PLC's from the network connection.

The bluetooth network was an extension to our Ethernet network, Give them an IP adress and link this to the PLC. Very easy actually and would love to see this technology go further in the future.

R

Last edited:
thank you very much mr.peens but i have a question ; what are the restrictions for using bluetooth in other word what are my ranges to be able to use this technology

You would need to consult your supplier on this as different units have different ranges, be sure that they specify the right antennas for this. Very crucial.

What is the distance between your PLC's? How many PLC's?

There are much better wireless solutions than bluetooth.

Check out Phoenix Contact's wireless modems.

Case in point, when I ride my motorcycle, I have a bluetooth headset to listen to my GPS and intercept any cell phone calls. Everytime a car with a driver wearing a BT headset goes by me, the signal gets interupted. Most cell phone wearers walk with BT enabled. Is this really a sound and well thought out network strategy?