1784-PKTXD problem

mikeliang

I have a big problem when I install 2 1784-PKTXD on desktop.

Desktop: Compaq PII, Windows NT 4.0.

I setup the jumper 2 and 3 for 1784-PKTXD, 5 PCI slot in Desktop, enter into BIOS, I can found 2 new other network card in the PCI.

When I entered into Windows NT4.0(SP6), check IRQ can not found 1784-PKTXD.

Shut down the desktop, enter into BIOS, found the 3com PCI network card and Grapic card use IRQ 10,11.

switch IRQ for 1784-PKTXD, only IRQ5/10/11 can be selected, setup IRQ10/11 for 1784-PKTXD card, restart the computer, but can not found 2 cards in Windows NT 4.0.

Please advise and Thanks in advaned, How to set up IRQ and memory address for two card?

Yes, I have issue right now, For PCI Device IRQ in BIOS

Compaq USB Controller: IRQ5,
Compaq Audio Device:IRQ11,
VGA Controller: IRQ11,
other Network controller:IRQ5,
Compaq Ethernet controller: IRT5
Other Network Controller: IRQ10

other network controller is 1784-PKTXD card, IRQ only 5,10,11 to selected.

SNK, what have done to set up them?

Mikeliang,

What I did after almost pulling all of my hair out was call the PC supplier. (It was a Xycom, so it is most likely been tested for this card)

We went through quite a few different IRQ's in the PC's setup, and one happened to work properly.

Depending on O/S that you are using, go to; (I was using WinXP)

Control Panel
System
Device Manager
View
Select "resources by connection"
Play around with the available IRQs..

Unless there is a problem with the card, one of the available should work.
Bottom line is DON'T GIVE UP.
If you are unsure about the card, make sure that you can verify that it actually works....on another PC or something.

Uninstall and remove all fixed "PC" hardware you can. Go to bios, disable sound, parallel port, COM ports, integrated Ethernet NIC, etc. Physically remove an other sound cards, or Ethernet NIC's, etc.

In XP, go to the control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and UNINSTALL all of those devices, freeing up the IRQ's and such.

Finally, reboot again, with everything dead, and the PKTX(D) installed, at whatever settings you like (try IRQ5 or 10, they are generally intentionally left free).
Note: You might have a setting in BIOS itself to reserve an IRQ, or to "Re-scan PnP" or such, try that if so.

Once that is up and running, go back and re-install/re-enable your other devices. If all goes well, they should respect the "Legacy" hardware fixed (as in, non PnP) IRQ of the PKTX(D).

Rdrast, he is using NT4.0...

Oops... My bad, missed that.
Still, I'd pull everything out, get the PKTX(D) configured and running, then put the others back in. It's generally easier (though time consuming) to assign resources to more generic devices then to the PKTX(D) with it's limited configurability.