downloading to a pv+ via laptop

stu

hi guys, i have a question, how do you connect to a panel view plus 700? i am tryiny to download a program from the laptop,i have tried getting rslinx to see the panel view but no luck i have tried sieral,uic,ethernet but still not seeing it please help
all the best stu

hi guys, i have a question, how do you connect to a panel view plus 700? i am tryiny to download a program from the laptop,i have tried getting rslinx to see the panel view but no luck i have tried sieral,uic,ethernet but still not seeing it please help
all the best stu
Use RSLinx and set up a new driver "Ethernet" not "Ethernet IP".
Add your IP for the PV+ in the set up, kind of like 198.100.100.100
You may add your notebooks IP as well.
Choose OK.
Pick the Ethernet driver in RSLinx.
Click on the + sign and you'll see both, the PV+ and your notebook displayed on the Linx window.

You also have to setup your comms through RSView for a path but I assume you have that part already.

Stu, when you attempt to download via RSView Studio, do you see the PV+ displayed in the tree structure?
If you do, highlight it and proceed with the download.
If not, you need to setup RSLinx enterprise within RSView.
The above post will only tell if your PV+ is active on your Ethernet.

Are you connecting directly to the pv+ from your laptop.
Make sure its in the same range as the pv and also I think you need
a crossover cable for ethernet if direct connect, but not 100% sure.

If your not going through an Ethernet hub or switch, you WILL need an Ethernet crossover cable

RSLinx has nothing to do with downloading to a PV+. You need RSView Studio or Factory Talk View Studio (depending on the version. Within these applications is RSLinx Enterprise. RSLinx Enterprise needs to be able to see the PanelView. Others have given you suggestions on setting up comms.

The other way to do it is use a compact flash card. You just need the folder structure:

Rockwell Software -> RSViewME -> Runtime

Place the .MER in the Runtime folder and you can copy it over from the PanelView

RSLinx has nothing to do with downloading to a PV+. You need RSView Studio or Factory Talk View Studio (depending on the version. Within these applications is RSLinx Enterprise. RSLinx Enterprise needs to be able to see the PanelView. Others have given you suggestions on setting up comms.

The other way to do it is use a compact flash card. You just need the folder structure:

Rockwell Software -> RSViewME -> Runtime

Place the .MER in the Runtime folder and you can copy it over from the PanelView

how to i set up the rslinx enterprise?
thanks stu

how to i set up the rslinx enterprise?
thanks stu
Stu, it is done from the RSView application.
Find the Comms tab and you'll have to define the path as well as a "local" and "target" pprocessor.
If you do setup the local path, you can always "copy" the same path to the target.
No screen shots as I don't have a PC with RSView here.

Stu, it is done from the RSView application.
Find the Comms tab and you'll have to define the path as well as a "local" and "target" pprocessor.
If you do setup the local path, you can always "copy" the same path to the target.
No screen shots as I don't have a PC with RSView here.

bkottaras, you are describing 2 different things. The Commuications tab shows the devices that RSLinx Enterprise can see (this is where the OP should focus). The "target/local" that you are describing is the communication path setup (where the PV+ is looking for tags).

If you are using Ethernet, the PV+ should show up automatically on the communications tab if your network is configured right. Can you ping the terminal? If not, then you either have a cabling or configuration issue.

Edit: The devices should show up automatically on the communications tab after you add an ethernet driver. You can do this by right clicking on RSLinx Enterprise and selecting "add a driver". But first you must be able to ping the PV+

What is your IP address?
What is the IP address of the panelview?
What is the subnet mask of the network?
How are you connected (directly, through a locally mounted switch, remotely mounted switch)?

thanks for all your help, i dont know the ip's off the top of my head the laptop/pv+ is at work (i am finding things to try) i tried to connect directly & via a uic but i was using rslinx classic?.

so let me get this right for the laptop to talk to the pv+ i need to go into rslinx enterprise not rslinx classic then go to RSView application then the coms tab?
is that right
stu

Last edited:
Right. RSLinx Enterprise is integrated into RSView Studio.

Comms.jpg

Once you can see the panelview, you must use the transfer utility to transfer the application.

And you do have RSView Studio Machine Edition correct? That or Factory Talk View Studio.

hi when i go to factory talk veiw studio i need to got to comms tab at the bottom of the page like shown on the post before this one do i have to add a new ethernet/panelview 700 and assign a ip to it? also if i am going direct do i need a cross over cable?
thanks stu

Stu, the IP address is assigned in the terminal properties of the panelview. As mentioned above, you will need a crossover cable.

As long as you are on the same network that the panelview is on, you should only need to add the ethernet driver on the comms tab, then it will show up automatically.

Is this a new app, are you just making a modification and re-downloading?

Could you answer my questions above? There is no sense messing around with FT if you have not setup your hardware properly.

hi , i have got a spare pv700 which i would like to load a program on (already made)but we will do modifaction,s on it in time, once the comms are set up will it talk to any pv+ that we plug in to?
thanks for your help.stu

The ethernet driver that you install on the comms tab is like the ethernet IP driver in linx. It will browse ethernet IP devices on the network and then list them. If you have 50 panelviews on a network, when you plug into it, they will all show up on that tab.

As you can see in my pic, we have 2 test PV+ and a test 1769-L32E. Both populated once I was connected to the network.