downloading to a pv+ via laptop

thanks dmroeder, i know that you have said this but i am going to confirm this again, if i am using the laptop to comm with the pv+ i will need a stanard ethernet crossover cable?
thanks a lot for all of your help. stu

If you are plugging directly from your laptop to the PV+ (with no switch between) you will need a crossover cable.

i will try to ping it,if there is a program already in the pv+ would that stop it communicating? and is it possible to have more then one program on the pv (the idea is to have 1 pv on the shelf pre-programed for 3 m/c and you just select which program you want) once again thanks for the time that you are spending on replying to my emails.stu

at the bottom of the ft view studio screen it says df1:failed to open com6 as it may be already used by another application? any ideas? still not connecting

Pinging will not interrupt communications. You can have as many apps as memory will allow.

You still haven't answered the question that I have asked many times. Can you ping the PanelView?

Just out of curiosity, what is the exact part number of the PanelView that you are working with?

If you cannot ping, then there is no way for FT to see it. You have a cabling or configuration issue.

dmroeder said:
What is your IP address?
What is the IP address of the panelview?
What is the subnet mask of the network?

IP address for the pv is 169.254.190.79
IP address for the laptop is 198.168.1.219 (alternate config)
subnet = 255.255.255.0
the obtain an ip address auotmatically icon is selected and the same on dns is selected.
thanks stu

Well there is your problem. You need to change the address on your pv+ or your laptop so they are on the same subnet. Do you know how to do this or can someone help you? May be easiest to change the pv+. Try changing the pv+ to 198.168.1.220 and see if you can connect.

I am no IP guru but I don't think you will be able to see the pv+ with you laptop IP set to that.
Either you will have to change you laptop IP to something like
169.254.190.80 assuming this address is not used or you will have to change the pv+ to something like 198.168.1.220 assuming it is not used. Or contact you local AB dist. and they can help you also.

Hope this helps.

Edit ....As Ron B would say ..Must type faster

Bob O. Maybe Phil could give out a prize to the person who responds first with the correct solution. Or, in this case, the one with the most patience which would be dmroeder. (y)

Last edited: