Interact Xpress on Vista.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
My old laptop hard drive died (in the field!) and I had to move all my software to a new laptop running Vista. 🔨
Well, after some expected issues, so far all the PLC & HMI programs are installed and supposedly running OK. All expect for Interact Xpress Manager (the designing software for the Parker's HMIs).
The problem I'm experiencing is that, even the program is able to see the created projects under "Local Projects", Windows explorer cannot see the files (extension lrp). The tech support guy was not able to help me. Maybe this is an issue with the permissions or "ownership" in Vista. I already tried to unhid, show all, change permissions, etc.

If anybody from the Parker or from the Vista side has a clue, I will appreciate it!

A quick fix was to change "Local Project Path", and the files created in the new location are accessible. Since a folder created from within the program is not visible with Windows Explorer, I'm suspecting that any file or folder created by the program has a security issue.
Interact Xpress Manager is not Vista approved.
Vista sucks, anyways.:mad:

I unexpectedly run into the "real" folder where Interact Xpress Manager stores the project files:
C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Parker\Interact Xpress Manager\Projects

Here I was able to access the files.
I am not sure if this is a weird behavior of Vista or Interact Xpress...

I hope this is for help for somebody in the future!

I found this:
The VirtualStore exists to work around programs that are not Vista compatible. Your program is attempting to modify data stored inside of Program Files, which is unacceptable - only installers or administrative tools are intended to have write access to program files. Your program is supposed to store data inside of your http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Virtual-Store--ftopict16837.html#directory, which is where Vista moves a copy of the file to so your program will work correctly instead of crashing.

The best solution is to have the program save its file to a new location -preferably inside your user profile directory. If you need to be able to access this same data file from any user account, you will need to change the permissions on its data file (or containing folder) to give all user full control using the security tab of its properties screen.

This feature is called "virtualization" - you can find more information about the new security enhancements in Vista, including virtualization, here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/uacppr.mspx

Last edited:
As a fomrer support manager I can tell you that it is difficult to keep you people up to speed on the hyge number of changes made my Microsoft. Especially if your company is not yet supporting its software on the new platform. However, The Parker support person should have investigated the problem himself and provided you with some additional help. I aslo cannot believe that they only just ran into this.

That said it might be nice to send them the results of your research. I know that when I ran support here I appreciated those things.