Siemens Simatic S5-system crashed

jbrandon2002

I have a customer of mine who used Siemens Simatic S5 software it is the version that still runs in DOS but I beleive it is newer then version 3. The problem is the Hard drive of the system that ran the S5 software crashed and we lost all installation files I don't have the old disks I don't have any type of install media I have all of the data of the S5 folders ,s5_sys, s5_home etc. but I can not find anyway to install the software I can't even find anywhere that I can purchase the software. The software has to be the old DOS based version but it was running on a windows XP system (in a dos window), all of the plc code is in the missing version and the support company which is in holland will not support the equipment without having this computer reloaded with the version of S5 that they are used to using. I don't know if anyone can help but this is my best shot at finding something to make this work...Also I apologize if I said anything stupid in this post as I am not familiar at all with the PLC programming process I simply repaired a computer and now am trying to help out my customer to get the computer back up and fully running.
Thanks in advance

Please edit your text, very hard to read and find what you want becouse you have no structure in it.

"all of the plc code is in the missing version and the support company which is in holland will not support the equipment without having this computer reloaded with the version of S5 that they are used to using."

What do you mean with that? Is you PLC program missing or Is all the PLC program made with that version you had? And company that made it wont give you backup if you don't get that Step5 back?

I don't right now remember how is the license installed in Step5, is it like with Step7 a file that needs to be transferred to hard disk. Or is it something else. None the less, you need to have your original license to get to use Step5, install files are not enough.

So have you been able to recover that license from old hard disk, or is it in some other format?

If not, and it is file like with Step7, there is change it got destroyed also.

If it is file like with Step7 and hard disk is almost working in way that you can connect it to some other computer with automation license manager, you can try use that to see if it finds any license on that hard disk.

The chances are that the version required the licence file if it was after V3.xx or you would have a port dongle.
so if the HD is still intact it is possible that the licence has survived it may be that for some reason you have lost some of the S5 files (system programs) rather than your plc backups (anyway you should have backed up all your plc files to other media).
I know that one version used a CPM emulator to run under dos it used S5.com however the later version I think did run under true dos rather than emulate CPM.
if the licence files are on the HD you should see a file (folder) in the root directory called something like AAFNZZ (cant remember the exact text), this would be the licence file, however you cannot move it without the licence disk & do not try to move or open it in any way or you will destroy it.
Even if the file is there it stil could be damaged.
I'm not sure if anyone here is willing to give you a copy of S5 based on the fact that without the licence it would not run anyway.
If you have lost the licence but the software is registered maybe siemens could help.