New and need some help please.

Andy-Berry

I find myself responsible for backing up a SLC 5/03 CPU that controls a Cimtec super finisher. What I need to do is take a FULL backup of the machine prior to a site move. I have absolutely no idea what I need software wise or how to do it so am open to all offers of assistance. Thanks.

Backing up a SLC 5/05 required RSLogix 500 software and a cable. However, you will only get the ladder logic out of the processor, none of the comments are stored in the PLC.

For a backup this shouldn't be a big deal. What might be a big deal is when you see the price tag for this software if you don't already have it.

As the minimum, you need RSLogix 500 Starter (9324-RL0100ENE).
For the SLC5/03, you can go online with a plain serial null-modem cable. Alternatively you need the 1747-UIC USB-to-DH485 cable.

Post here when you get so far as you have RSLogix 500 installed, and PC and SLC5/03 hooked up with each other.
We will guide to get the PLC program uploaded, without goofing things up.

For the SLC5/03, you can go online with a plain serial null-modem cable. Alternatively you need the 1747-UIC USB-to-DH485 cable.

Post here when you get so far as you have RSLogix 500 installed, and PC and SLC5/03 hooked up with each other.

Will do Thanks

Another option is if this is a one time need; you could contact your local RockWell Dist. and see if they could help you by uploading the program for you.

Do you know if this would work for a Seimens step7 (S7 300)unit

Do you know if this would work for a Seimens step7 (S7 300)unit
Ha ha. Is that a serious question ?
It would definitely be a "hidden feature" if Rockwell Software worked with Siemens PLCs. Unlikely, I am afraid.

So, you have another machine with a Siemens PLC you also need backed up ?
edit: If that is the case, specify the EXACT type # of the CPU.

Ha ha. Is that a serious question ?
It would definitely be a "hidden feature" if Rockwell Software worked with Siemens PLCs. Unlikely, I am afraid.

So, you have another machine with a Siemens PLC you also need backed up ?
edit: If that is the case, specify the EXACT type # of the CPU.

I did say i was new to this !!

Thanks for the reply i guess i need to start to look for Seimens software then. I assume that there is no generic software that will communicate with all the systems as that would be far too easy. Why do i get myself involved in these things? Doh!!!

Fair enough.
There are no such things as dumb questions.
(except for questions that ignore previously given advice).

If you need help with the Siemens PLC, then we can also help, if you state the exact type no of the CPU.

I just happened to think of one important stumplestone:
Both the AB PLC and the Siemens PLC may be password protected.
If that is the case, then it may still be possible to perform a backup. However, I wont discuss how to bypass passwords, and advice others that read this to refrain from the same.
So, in the end it may require help from either AB or Siemens or both.
What is the 'history' of the machines ?

Fair enough.
There are no such things as dumb questions.
(except for questions that ignore previously given advice).

If you need help with the Siemens PLC, then we can also help, if you state the exact type no of the CPU.

I just happened to think of one important stumplestone:
Both the AB PLC and the Siemens PLC may be password protected.
If that is the case, then it may still be possible to perform a backup. However, I wont discuss how to bypass passwords, and advice others that read this to refrain from the same.
So, in the end it may require help from either AB or Siemens or both.
What is the 'history' of the machines ?

All the machines are working at the moment. I am tasked with backing them up prior to them being moved to a new machine shop. All i need to do is back them up and restore them should there be a failure when repositioned in the new building.

I mean, who made the programs ?
If these are OEM machines, then there is a relatively high possibility that they are password protected.

Good point. I should be able to get any password from the machine tool manufacturer.

I guess i seriously underestimated this when i agreed to do it, i assumed that i would be able to Telnet on and get a system dump.

I think i will go and back up some nice Fanuc machines for the rest of today, at least that will ease the depression i am feeling right now. :)

Thanks for your help.

Getting a backup of the program will save you a lot of grief. The PLCs may have batteries but they will not last forever.

Siemens vs AB is sorta like comparing Dodge Chev and Ford. They are all trucks or cars but darn few parts or thinking are interchangable.

While you have these out of service consider replacing the batteries in PLCs. I think I would do it before moving the machine. Yes I know management will be in a big rush but make em wait. Read the manual appropriate to the PLC to determine if you need to do this while energized or if you can do it deenergized. On some if you pull the battery while deenergized you may lose the stuff in memory

BUT you did a backup for this contingency.
If you do not do this stuff all the time
and you do not have ALL the software
AND all the cables
you may very well be better off having local vendor support you. Gonna be a few bucks but should go a long ways to getting you back up and running quicker without nervous breakdowns on both machines and humans.

Dan Bentler