Directsoft timer reset value input problem

wildcatherder

I have several numeric inputs from a C-more EA7 panel that set timer reset values. I find that when I enter a number (of seconds) and store it in a memory register that I have to multiply it by 14.7 to get it to agree with my stopwatch. The timers are the basic built-in DirectSoft timers, whose specs indicate the input value should be tenths of a second.

What would cause this discrepancy?

My RLL is only about 30 rungs long and the multiply and divide operations are probably the most time-consuming operations. The timers are used to step an event-driven drum.

I don't know what the C-more panel is putting out when I type in a number. There do not seem to be any specs available.

It is rather confusing. If I enter K2000 for a TMRF fast counter, the little preset window shows 2000 and I can clearly see that it counts to 20 seconds.

If I enter 2000 from the C-More touch panel numeric input, I see 7d0 in the Data View display in DirectSoft for that memory location, which is hex for 2000. I can watch the counter counting up , that doesn't seem to be hex - no alphabet characters but it only counts for 9 seconds by the stopwatch. These is some kind of wacky 20th-century interface and I don't see how BCD enters into it.

Well, I BCD-converted the memory register value and now it counts to 20 but this really is wacky. It's a SOFTWARE timer, you can set it up any way you want, why mimic an ancient technology based on nixie lamp bars? The fact that the constant value can be entered in hundredths of a second (for the fast timer) shows that it can be done.

Thanks for the clue.

Look in the Cmore editor, tag name name database. Look in the column labled "Data Type" for the variable you are having problems with. It should say BCD Int16. I only have the micro software, but suspect its the same.

What my C-more display shows in the Tag Name Database is "Signed int 16". Is this some kind of code for BCD? To me it means a 16-bit integer than can hold a positive or negative value.

Well, I BCD-converted the memory register value and now it counts to 20 but this really is wacky. It's a SOFTWARE timer, you can set it up any way you want, why mimic an ancient technology based on nixie lamp bars? The fact that the constant value can be entered in hundredths of a second (for the fast timer) shows that it can be done.

Thanks for the clue.

It shows that you can move the decimal point.

It would be nice if the characters BCD appeared on the DL205 User Manual page for TMR/TMRF in a clueful fashion.

The timers and counters being in BCD is mentioned in chapter three in the memory map section, right after the introduction to PLC memory types. It would have been helpful if they reprinted the fact that the timers and counters are in BCD on the respective pages in chapter five. I guess they figured if you made it to chapter five, you would have read chapter three.

What my C-more display shows in the Tag Name Database is "Signed int 16". Is this some kind of code for BCD? To me it means a 16-bit integer than can hold a positive or negative value.

I don't have access to the manual for the C-more software at the moment; I'll have to check tomorrow to see if the help has the following information. Signed Int 16 means a signed binary number, not BCD. The selection for a BCD number is BCD int 16.

Brian

In general the AD CPU manuals only designate a number type when it isn't BCD. Their instructions show their history of the prevalence of the BCD type. The timers and counters expect the BCD type as a preset and their accumulated values are in that format. The simple math operations expect BCD operands and produce BCD results. Those that expect binary/decimal (they can't seem to make up their mind about what to call standard integers) usually have 'B' appended. Those that expect the doubled version (32 bit) of each of these types will have an additional 'D' appended. Finally those that expect floating point/REAL types will have 'R' appended. You will be responsible for keeping track of these types. I find it best to include the type in my naming convention. Be sure to mark in some way the second V register occupied by the double versions of the BCD and Binary numbers as well as the REAL numbers. It will help avoid much confusion.

You may as well start from the front of the PLC manuals and work toward the back page by page. The same with the display manuals. Come to think of it, that's what I do with any hardware/software and it seems to go very easily.

Very few hardware/software designers will do things exactly the way you would have. Read the manuals, try out everything and try to have fun.

No. In C-more go to your Tag Name Database and Add a new tag for DEV001, change the Tag Data Type to "BCD int 16". This will be the same format as the Timer. That is unless you are using 32-bit timers.

I do read the manuals; I don't memorize the manuals. I've read five manuals in the last two weeks. With two different jobs, I do everything from web page database interfaces to LabView programming. (I'm not saying I do them all well.) I have in my career written several user manuals for complex technical systems. Not specifying data type in individual instruction descriptions is a fundamental oversight. Obviously, no one is going to rewrite the manual for an old product. I do feel my frustrations are justified and not due to neglecting to "start from the front...and work toward the back page by page".

I appreciate the advice on dealing with these problems as they arise. Comments on my work habits, especially incorrect comments are not appreciated.

I thank OpZed for the C-More database tag information. I could find nothing searching their help for BCD or data type. Their manual is primarily concerned with placing things on the screen and not much else.

The solutions offered have been effected and work well.