RSView32 Question

gizmo

Greetings Again,
I've got a RSView32 question.

Can you search all displays/graphics for a tagname?
(I've got a tag in the tag database and don't know where or if it is used)

Thanks!!!

To open the Tag Database editor:
1. In the Project Manager, open the System folder.
2. Open the Tag Database editor by doing one of the following:
double-click the Tag Database icon
right-click the Tag Database icon and then click Show

This is in the manualhttp://www.ab.com/manuals/swrsi/93992SE32UG.pdf

I myself am new at RSView so not sure if this is what you want or not, I think if you have created a tag and used it it will be listed there. Displays have their own folder within the System folder.

Follow up

Thanks,
This documentor programs will be a handy tool to have in the future.
The documentor program kindof answered my question.

I've got an XIC contact in a RSLogix 5K routine that is ON (value=1).
Tagname = LimitSw_Stat
Style = Decimal
Type = Bool
No Alias or Basetag defined.

I'm tring to figure out what is turning this bit on.

1)When I run a cross-reference, it's used only once and thats the XIC on the current rung.

2) After viewing CSV file from Project documentor, its only used in RSView32 on a few color conditionals (Not on any action buttons that would write to it).

What's turning this bit on???
Any ideas!?
Thanks Again!

You mentioned it is used only on color conditionals. Right click on it and check any properties, like animation and see is there any expression defined in the box.

The bit could be fired from the expressions.

(Check the color conditionals for being grouped, you may have to ungroup it before can view the properties)

"Take note: All the above is just guess only - it have been a while I touched RSView."

You may want to check the default state for this bit. In control logix you can do alot of manipulation of bits behind the seens.

Follow Up

I've looked very hard at the color animation and it doesn't appear to have anything writing bits on/off in their expression.
It's has some IF-Then-Else conditions used in the expressions of the Animation:Color.

From Beryl
You may want to check the default state for this bit. In control logix you can do alot of manipulation of bits behind the seens.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you give me a little instructions on what/where to check?

Thanks

Just to clarify, I am assuming you are using RSLogix 5000 for programming your Control logix PLC. If that is the case you should be able to go the the tagname in the programming software and look at the defaul states for each bit. With Logix5000 you can have the processor set default values based on some states of the processor. Hope this helps.

Yes, Sorry about not suppling this information earlier.
RSLogix 5000 v12
RSview32 v2.40
ControlLogix Processor 5555

Back to the Default values. When I view the tag under the monitor tab of the Main tag database, I don't see anything about default values?

Tagname - - - Value - - - Force - - - Style - - - Type - - AliasFor - - - BaseTag
LimitSw - - - - 1 - - - -- - 0 - - - - decimal - - - -Bool - - none - - - -none

Where do I need to look?
Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Find

Try this trick:

Close the RSView application.
Under START, select Find... | Files or Folders
Search for a file neames *.*, containing the text of your tag name, looking in the folder where your RSView application is located.

This will give you a list of all the screens that use the tag (*.gfx), all the parameter files (*.par), macros (*.mcr), event files (*.eds), and whether it's used in VBA somewhere (project.vba) (as well as the tag database ?(project.db - but the VBA and tag database don't show up if the project is open - go figure).

Fortunately, even though the files themselves are compiled, the tags are stored in plain ASCII, and so Window's search engine can find it. This won't tell you WHERE or HOW it is used, just that it is. But it shouldn't be hard to do a search within the object (except for screens, but then you've got the documentation utiltiy for that).

I may have led you astray somewhat. The default values only apply to real I/O. As for what is turning on this bit. I would close RSView and reset the bit and if it remains on then it is something in the PLC code that is turning it on. I would look for something indirect or a word move.

Follow up

I did a file search for *.* w/ containing text of tagname in the Project's directory. Results = 0 files found. I would have thought it'd find atleast a list of graphics.gfx that it's used.
I did the search 3 different time and same result each time.

Beryl,
Unfortunatly, I can't shutdown RSView32 or Toggle that bit in RS5K because of production. I could jumper around the XIC on the rung and shutdown RSView32 briefly if avaiable.

This stupid bit going to drive me crazy. I can't stress the importance of documentation!

Thanks Again!