Profinet

hazey

Hi guys, I am going to replace a S5 135U that has profibus connection to other PLC's and also connects to Citect by CP5412(A2) card. I am going to replace it with S7 315-2 PN/DP. The SCADA package will be upgraded as well but CP5412 (ISA) will not work with WinXP.
My question is can I maintain the Profibus connection to the other PLC's and use Profinet port for the Citect package?

thanks

hazey

hazey said:
can I maintain the Profibus connection to the other PLC's
This depends. You need to get more specific details about the connections to the other PLCs.
Is it by Profibus DP, where the S5 is master and the other PLCs are DP slaves ? If so the onboard DP port will be OK.
Or is it by Profibus FMS ? If so you will need a CP343-5, which support this protocol.
Or is it by other means, maybe FETCH/WRITE and configured FDL connections. In that case you need a CP342-5 which supports this protocol.
hazey said:
and use Profinet port for the Citect package
Citect supports several methods for accessing an S7 CPU via ethernet. In any case you need to purchase Simatic Net IE or Simatic Net IE Lean.

I find it a wise decision to keep the PLCs on Profibus and Citect on Ethernet.