Micrologix 1000 DC Motor control.

bigoldblack

Hi,

I recently bought 4 motors rated for 96VDC. I want to use it with my Micrologix 1000 L32BWA. How many power supplies would I need to control them all if they are to be used one at a time. Also can I use a supply to control one motor go both directions (bipolar)?

Do anyone have a suggestion on where I can buy such power supply too instead of me attempting to build one.

Thanks,

Ben

It would probably be better to use an actual motor control suitable for these motors. Dart Controls supplies the one we use. You can get reversing models and ones with dynamic braking.

I agree. A dart is already set up to control this type of motor, all you have to do is run 110v or 220v in and it does the rectifying over to DC. It also has ramp up/ramp down settings, etc. If you wanted you could set the ML up to control the Dart. Much easier in my opinion.

It would probably be better to use an actual motor control suitable for these motors. Dart Controls supplies the one we use. You can get reversing models and ones with dynamic braking.

Thanks sounds like something I could use. Do you how much one of these cost?
Heres the motor I'm using http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260297197099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT .

Also, how hard would it be to control the precision of one of these?
I decided to choose a DC motor cause it would be easier to use instead of a stepper.

I'm not familiar with the Dart drives but I visited their web site and they look a bit spendy. If you can get a Dart with a built in reverser for 100$ then it would be worth a try. Check out the KB drives such as the KBIC avail at Commercial Solutions in Canada for around 100$.

You only need one drive if the HP rating of all the motors is going to be the same and you only connect one motor to the drive at a time.

Use sensors to tell the motor when to stop and home position. 1-DPDT relay as a reversing relay. 2-DPDT or 4-SPST relays to select which motor gets driven.

If you use gear reduction you may be able to forgo the brake.

Those motors do not have the ability to hold a position. When the power is removed, they free wheel.

You would need a brake system of some sort or to use stepper. A stepper still has power applied when it is not rotating.

I think if you try to accomplish your project with those motors you would most likely fail or go broke. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not familiar with the Dart drives but I visited their web site and they look a bit spendy. If you can get a Dart with a built in reverser for 100$ then it would be worth a try. Check out the KB drives such as the KBIC avail at Commercial Solutions in Canada for around 100$.

You only need one drive if the HP rating of all the motors is going to be the same and you only connect one motor to the drive at a time.

Use sensors to tell the motor when to stop and home position. 1-DPDT relay as a reversing relay. 2-DPDT or 4-SPST relays to select which motor gets driven.

If you use gear reduction you may be able to forgo the brake.

If the price is around $100 and I only need one, that would help alot. I'll look into the drive more.
Thanks for the input.

Those motors do not have the ability to hold a position. When the power is removed, they free wheel.

You would need a brake system of some sort or to use stepper. A stepper still has power applied when it is not rotating.

I think if you try to accomplish your project with those motors you would most likely fail or go broke. Just my 2 cents.

I thought about using a stepper for this but I couldn't think of a way to implement it with the PLC. I'll have a lot of troubleshooting to do. I also have about 6 months to finish this. But thanks for the information. I may need to change motors.

If this is a class project that is one thing and can be done with small motors.

On other hand if your drawing is for a real elevator with real cars I really think you need to be talking with an elevator company. I dont know about Toronto but here in Seattle you would spend 100K convincing the elevator inspectors you know what you are doing. And then there is the insurance company and all that hassle.

Dan Bentler

If this is a class project that is one thing and can be done with small motors.

On other hand if your drawing is for a real elevator with real cars I really think you need to be talking with an elevator company. I dont know about Toronto but here in Seattle you would spend 100K convincing the elevator inspectors you know what you are doing. And then there is the insurance company and all that hassle.

Dan Bentler

1/16 SIZE Model Cars.

what would be a good motor size?

OK so we have a class project. I just love 20 questions.
Since this is a class project you need to start learning by doing. We do not do your engineering for you nor do we do your homework for you. We are willing to help though but you gotta do the footwork.

Here is your first task.
1. Determine operating needs of this unit ie weight of car and distance you are jacking them, rate of travel both up and down friction of your mechanism. You will also need to consider accelaration and the HP requirement for that.

When you have this defined then you can tell us what size motor you need.

Dan Bentler

OK so we have a class project. I just love 20 questions.
Since this is a class project you need to start learning by doing. We do not do your engineering for you nor do we do your homework for you. We are willing to help though but you gotta do the footwork.

Here is your first task.
1. Determine operating needs of this unit ie weight of car and distance you are jacking them, rate of travel both up and down friction of your mechanism. You will also need to consider accelaration and the HP requirement for that.

When you have this defined then you can tell us what size motor you need.

Dan Bentler

First, yes it is a class project. The majority of the design and layout I have already finishing building or in the process of it. I am down to mostly the electrical part which includes programming, wiring and finding the right components to match what I have.

The motor listed above I have already bought and is waiting for it to arrive. But if I absolutely need a different motor I will change it as I am really close to go over my planned budget. The only thing other than the motors I have the Micrologix 1000 L32BWA.

The height of the structure is about 38 inches, the width is around 30. I would tell you the rest of the dimensions but I don't have my Cad markups on me.

Here is a couple pictures from a month or two ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36822496@N00/

The entire platform is now complete and I'm waiting for the motors to arrive before trying to attach all the axis together. One of my axis is shown in picture above.

As of now everything is going to my autocad picture.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/272/park3model.jpg

The reason I came on here is to see if anyone could give me suggestions on what to do.

Its not like I haven't done any research or haven't started my project at all. I actually looked up on stepper motors before changing my mind to DC. Stepper would have made things a lot more accurate for the movement I wanted it to do but since I got the PLC already, I didn't think there would have been enough outputs to control 4 motors so I went with a higher torque DC motor. The thing I didn't think about was the braking needed which would cause some problem now that I think of it.

Anyway,
Maybe I just didn't give enough information but I have done my research.

Ben.