Online Degree

go_bears

Hi, I have been doing PLC programming for 6 years now and am self taught. I have been applying for some jobs but they are looking for degrees. I would like to do an online course and get a degree. I was wondering what are some good online universities. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What is the website? What school is it with?

With no disrespect I believe programming is something within you that no one can teach. As an anology, you can go to art school, learn how to mix colours, learn which brushes to use but no class can teach you how to paint.

Software is the same, it is either within you or not.

We had one employee how successfully passed the George Brown college PLC course , but could not handle the real world situations put to a programmer on a job site.

University of North Dakota

With no disrespect I believe programming is something within you that no one can teach. As an anology, you can go to art school, learn how to mix colours, learn which brushes to use but no class can teach you how to paint.

Software is the same, it is either within you or not.

We had one employee how successfully passed the George Brown college PLC course , but could not handle the real world situations put to a programmer on a job site.

C & S,

The subject of your post is debatable, and would be an interesting one at that, however, it doesn't address the OP's question. It sounds like he feels he has it within him, but is struggling to convince potential employers of this without having a degree to his credit.

The University of North Dakota UND(Grand Forks) has distance engineering degree programs that are very much up to snuff and are very worthy of the time. It's the next best thing to classic in the classroom education, and is ABET accredited, so it carries all the merits of any other degree out there.(Save Ivy League schools)

I totally agree with curlyandshemp. Just because you've been to school and passed the program doesn't mean you can do any programming except what is in the textbook. And, as any of us who've done this very long know, it's a rare program in real life that would be "textbook"...

Now, the OP needs to ask (and answer) what kind of degree are you seeking? Will it really be a help? What are your long-term career aspirations?

I've been doing this for 20 year and have a degree in Electrical Engineering from one of the most highly recognized engineering programs in the US. But my "specialty" was computer design -- I never even heard of a PLC until I was several years out of college.

Depending on OP's career aspirations, an online business degree ~might~ be a better choice than an online engineering degree.

I am a "self taught / learn as you go" programmer with limited mechanical experience. Basically I got my start working in the family business. When my father retired I was lucky enough to be hired by a company we had done a lot of contract work for, but with the condition I go to school for an Electrical-Mechanical degree. I had NO luck finding a place that would take me as just a PLC programmer. May want to look into that field at a Tech/Trade school, but I doubt most of it is available in an Online Only version.

The really good news is that I have been able to prove "on the job experience" for a lot of the classes, which cut my school load down considerably. In the end I will have that degree everybody wants to see.