Control and Monitor GE Fanuc through C++

djshorty

Is there class libraries already out there to do this?

Or is it as simple as writing a C++ program to talk to the PLC over a COM port (provided the protocol is documented)?

The protocol is documented in the manual GFK-0582, available from the GEFanuc website here .

There is enough information to be able to monitor the status of inputs and outputs and to read and write register data values. They used to have a couple of programs posted that you could adapt for own use, but they've been removed. I only ever downloaded the VB version, which I still have if you're interested.

The short answer to your question is yes.

The native protocol for all current GE Fanuc products is called SNP (series 90 protocol). The programs that Greg and I are referring to use SNP. They also can use RTU (Modbus) and an earlier GE Fanuc standard called CCM. CCM was used with the Series One, Series Three, Series Five and Series Six PLCs.

glaverty,

I'm PM'd you, if you could please send the C version to

djshorty at telus.net

That would be great!

Thanks in advance.

The interface of this application seems to only support read operations on the PLCs memory. Is it possible to write values to the PLC?

For example, if I was using the PLC to monitor temperature and wanted to store a threshold value, would I be able to use code (on the PC) to change this value?

In the gefcommvb example I sent to you, if you type the '=' character in the data transfer field, the data following the '=' character will be written to the PLC. The text of the control button to the right of the field will also change fronm 'READ' to 'WRITE'.

Example: To write the value 123 to register 1, type in 'R1=123' and click the button (which now should have the text 'Write'). To read the value in register 1, just type in 'R1' and click the button.