ML1100 Ghost erasing memory

sarahsue

We've gone round and round on this and just changed the two culprit processors. But in case that isn't the answer, I thought I'd get some ideas from you gurus.

We have 2 ML1100 processors on our ethernet network that have crashed with no memory. Like this: everything is running fine, then the processor has no comms, has no program, has no anything. We are able to load the program by serial port and restart. However the same thing happened a few days later.

Changing the processors out was an option we decided to try, but it may be a few days before we find out if the memory wiping ghost will return. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sarah

We've gone round and round on this and just changed the two culprit processors. But in case that isn't the answer, I thought I'd get some ideas from you gurus.

We have 2 ML1100 processors on our ethernet network that have crashed with no memory. Like this: everything is running fine, then the processor has no comms, has no program, has no anything. We are able to load the program by serial port and restart. However the same thing happened a few days later.

Changing the processors out was an option we decided to try, but it may be a few days before we find out if the memory wiping ghost will return. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sarah

My first instinct is that you have power quality issues. Are these 120VAC powered processors? Is there a surge suppressor connected to the power feed?

I had the same thing happen woth some ML1000's. In my case someone would unplug the machine uhile it was running. As long as the motors were stopped it would not cause a problem. My point is that if you have power problems, it will drop the memory. If it was me I would install a signal conditioner like an Isotrol. And if you still have an issue put on a UPS for the PLC power.

Check grounding, then check it again.
Make sure all inductive loads have surge protection across them.

I accidently plugged a ethernet patch cable between my plc network and our office network and it faulted every panelview 1000 and cleared the programs on 3 micrologix 1100's so it's possible that it could be network related also.

I accidently plugged a ethernet patch cable between my plc network and our office network and it faulted every panelview 1000 and cleared the programs on 3 micrologix 1100's so it's possible that it could be network related also.

We ran into something similiar. Made a big deal about it with AB and I guess it's still not fixed. We're not putting any more ML1100 in the plant in the mean time.

I had the same issue a couple years ago. After fighting it for a week we installed a separate 24vdc power supply for I/O. I figure there was an intermittent short in a prox cable or something of that nature that was blanking the memory. Anyway, we haven't a problem since.