Pc-plc cable

johneedw

dears, thanx 4 ur help..but i cannt connect my plc(S7-300) to the computer to run step7 because i dont know about the cable,and when i search about it in internet,i found that the cable must have adapter circuit called RS232/RS485 adapter..
please, advice me why we should use an adapter between pc and plc?..cannt we make a direct connection via D9 serial cable?
also..send me the proper circuit for this adapter if possible.. waiting 4 ur reply...best regards

progress.gif

If you are connecting to a S7-300 to your PC... you need a MPI adapter not a 485, the 485 is for the 200 series

You can use opto-electronic isolated RS232/MPI,Siemens S7-300/400 PLC Programming adapter cable,with communication indicator,can replace Siemens 6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0

I think that Siemens is now doing a USB / MPI.
6ES7 972-0CB20-0XAO think.
Not sure how much it costs? (I bet that expensive!)

Has anyone had luck with a USB to RS232 converter, when combined with the RS232 Siemens MPI-use interface? (6ES7 972-0CA1x-0XA0)

questions

thanx 4 reply but:
1- why i should use adapter between plc and pc?
2- please, send me the circuit diagram for such adapter.

The simple explanation is:

PC talks 'PC', S7-300 talks 'Siemens'. The programming-cable is the translator (MPI-convertor) between these languages. The knowledge of this conversion is so protected that somebody on this forum compared it to Fort Knox.

You have to use Siemens cables when you use their products and that's what they expect. You can use USB -MPI adopter and you have to buy it

dears, please advice me why i should use adapter between plc and adapter ?..y i cannt use direct cable nbetween...waiting for reply

Are you hard headed, ivo.maenen already explained. I want to ask some questions too.

"Why i cant use diesel on benzin engine"
"Why i cant i just use usb to connect to my crt monitor"
"Why cannot i use 7,62mm bullet on my 9mm pistol"
"Please advice me"

Last edited:
Google the word "Proprietary". With most PLC's there is a proprietary comunication system. MPI is proprietary comunication system for Siemens S7-300 PLC's. You want program an S7-300 you must "buy" an MPI interface. Whether it is a USB version or serial version or whatever is up to you. But there is no serial cable that will "magically" talk MPI.

plc adapter

hi all,
why you surprised from my question?.. i've a sematic OP7 and i connected it to a desktop pc via D9-D9 null modem cable (with out adapter)and i've programmed it successfully while it power by 24 vdc..my question again : why i should use adapter between pc and plc?.. can i use such a cable of op7 with plc since both working with 24 vdc and communicate together via a null modem cable too?!...