Need help with PLC 5/04 and panel view 1000+

coacht

I am having trouble connecting to the PLC using PCMK card and cable. I have configured my drivers. Also what software will I need to upload a program from the AB 1000+ ? I have RS logix 500 classic and panel builder 32 software. Any help from you guys would be great. I have taken a new job and no one knows where the programs are and now we are going to add a new product:oops:. Thanks in advance!!

See PDFs below for your 1784-PCMK card setup.
Also the software for a PV+ is Factory Talk contact your local AB rep for this. PanelBuilder32 will not work with Panelview+ terminals.
An easier way to connect to your SLC5/04 is thru its serial port, a null-modem cable and the DF1 driver in RSLinx.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um519_-en-p.pdf

Please explain more on connecting with the null-modem cable and the DF1 driver in RSLinx. I only have on spot to communicate with and it is with the program terminal.:eek: Again thanks for your help.

Please explain more on connecting with the null-modem cable and the DF1 driver in RSLinx. I only have on spot to communicate with and it is with the program terminal.:eek: Again thanks for your help.

See PDF below for a how-to. Tell us more about this program terminal.

Last edited:
Still can not get connected to the plc. I did notice that the PLC was looking for the driver AB_KT-1 and when I change this in the configuration for the driver I get the Blue screen of death. Any Ideas on how I can change what driver the plc is looking for or what do I need to get to get connected. Again thanks for your help!!

Is that AB_KT-1 you see within RSLogix500? If so put RSLogix500 aside for now, shut-it down. You must first get connected through RSLinx. It means the last time someone connected the the processor they used that driver within RSLinx.
How are you connected to the processor? What driver are you trying to use?
What cables? Does your PC have a real serial port? Did the SLC5/04 have any thing connected to it serial port? Can you post a screen shot of your RSLinx configuration?
Did you follow the procedures posted above if so what if any error messages did you get?
If the BSOD is coming while trying to use the PCMK driver, then reread the PCMK setup I posted above. Using the wrong device type value in its setup will cause the BSOD.

So you have a PCMK card with a DH+ attachment connecting up to your 5/04 Correct? It should look like the attachment. Notice the local node address is set to 76. Default node of zero can cause conflicts and crashes.

Plug into your 5/04 round mini connector (not the D Sub!) and check your RSLinx to make sure you see your 5/04 and your PV1000 if its DH+. If your cable doesn't have the round connector on the end you'll need an adapter to convert it. Ab sells it cheap. Also if this is a new install you'll need the drivers for the PCMK card on AB's website. Thats a must have.

Mickey is awesome but I don't share his opinion on the serial port usage. Sometimes its hogged by a PV application or device thru put, the DH+ program port is never used for anything. On a system with 30 devices daisy linked together, its more convienient to have a program port at the end (or at every node like I do) that way you can see the entire network without having to physically be next to the machine. Its great for setting up OEE measurements or even looking at multiple PLCs at the same time.

If you absolutely need to change the driver, do it offline and upload. This carries a warning though, you might not have the latest and greatest file plus you have to be seeing it first in RSLinx.

pcmk.jpg

This is what my problem seems to be. How do I find out what node the PLC is looking for and how do I change it in RSlinx. I am new to a company and they have no backup programs. The plc I am working on is linked together with 11 plc's. I have found a old program and in Channel Configuration I have notice that the Node is 1. What do I need to change in the driver configuration to communicate? Thanks again for your help.

If you are using the PCMK driver then the node address ( station Number) in RSlinx needs to be different then the PLC's. Set it to 77 just to get it out of the way. Its a good bet that none of the PLC's are set to that.