I need help with PLC problem

You are correct that the OP merely posted her assignment without showing any effort, or even a polite request for help. That actually happens a lot around here.

I gave her the first prompt ("Make an I/O list"), and Parky and Brian gave her a start as to what this might look like and how to organize her thinking. Then the ball was in her court.

But then you come along and suggest that we're being too helpful. Believe me, we understand where you're coming from, which is why it's general policy not to "just give the answer."

The moderators don't do what you think they do. I could, for example, take a half hour, do the entire assignment, post it, and while I would likely get chided for doing so, for truly robbing her of an education, the post would stand.

I have gone so far as to post an inaccurate solution (almost comically so) to the Traffic Light problem, which used to show up here with depressing regularity, because of the obvious laziness of the posters. Caveat emptor.

This is an open forum, and you are free to post what you like, including complaints and criticisms (as long as you're not abusive). We're all (mostly) professionals here, and usually welcome different ways of looking at things, including how we present ourselves to others. Most of us have developed a pretty thick skin (or gotten good at simply ignoring what someone says about us) and can take it. We can also dish it out in the same manner that it was given to us.

Sometimes we get posts that some start to be overly helpful on, and others jump in to question whether the problem is real or homework (particularly around lead/lag pump control). There was nothing wrong with your pointing out that Firegirl hadn't shown the slightest bit of effort beyond copy & paste, and a request for "help". It's just that everyone who posted here already knew that, and only gave enough clues to hopefully entice her to get the benefit of what this forum can offer.

You thought those clues were too much; that's your opinion and you're welcome to share it. Others will have an opinion that it was just the right about of bait, and will share that opinion. Bouncing ideas off each other is what makes this forum so great. :site:

The 3 days of radio silence from her indicates that she has no interest in actually learning this stuff. So we spend more time talking to each other than doing the helpful stuff that we often come here to do.

You only charge a half hour...You work too fast and too cheap ;)

FireGirl, I'll do this project for $5K and beer and nacho expenses. If it's a competitive bid situation, I understand, and you can wait for our esteemed members to offer competing bids.

Given that the requester has not returned to this site since the initial post, what can we infer? 1 - The initial responses of "not doing homework" and negative name-calling ( I cant be bothered searching back for accurate quotes), has scared the poster away, or 2 - The poster was looking for someone to do their homework, and not finding it here, has searched for a solution elsewhere. Am I missing anything?

Like Maxk l have being saying it for years and years, why do you guys do it, just let them learn by themselves or not, just like you did it.
As for no one posting code, what happened Parky, you would post code before they finished there question, now nothing.
Ah good to come here for a laugh.
What does seems to be happening here? go back 5 years and it was a different site/questions/answers.
Yes l know, lm still posting when l shouldn't after drinking, ha.
But it's interesting now, 3 maths guys, Dr, Maxk and P , P now doesn't get away with it, Dr explains everything so well, as well as so helpful, P's given up retired??, to much competition. But Maxk now he knows his stuff, just not willing to pass it on to F%^&^wits, good for him, hard earned, why give it to people that don't even come back to there own thread.
As per this site, people go for pages coming up with scenarios what the question was and then dreamed up answers and no response from the thread starter. As l have said for years, get the info from a set questioner then spend your time before you die answering there sometime stupid questions, ah another drink, its only 1 am here, please someone bring on a PID question or should l just get another drink, ok another drink it is..

@ PLCNovice: On this occasion I have not posted code because I did not understand enough of what the poster had written, I don't mind helping people regardless of their ability, I don't care if they are using me to write their program or not. Not everybody can fall into coding for some it takes the need to show them, some of those will get the hang of it some will not. I suspect the OP has not replied because of the assumption that some of the posts they interpret as it belittles those who have no real insite into programming.
Yes my introduction to PLC's was the hard way, had a SQ "D" CRT programming console & drawings thrust into my lap told to go to site & program a cutting press that had 9 cutting sequences, My only knowledge was digital electronics using integrated circuits at that time but I found it a doddle once I learned how to use the console. Not all people can be a natural, for some it takes time.
If I'm "used" then so what, I do agree that people using others code to pass exams is a bad thing & that is the nature of any website, people have anonymity & use that to their advantage, the one thing I find is that people from countries where english is the main language who are obviously native to that country some have a very bad command of their own native language . Often others from non speaking english countries can give a better explanation even though their english may be poor, I am useless at languages, I communicate with people in Thailand, I use translator software & I know it often comes out very poor so I make allowances for people who do not speak or write English very well.
What I dislike more than people using me is those that are so condescending.
What people on here do not know is that something like 4-8 people a year who have posted on here I have helped privately this gives me satifaction & in the majority of cases it has worked out well, they have used my code & gone on to be more proficient and felt more confident in completing their goals.
There could be two reasons the OP has not replied.
1. Yes they are using us
2. They find what other posters belittling, very often wrongly, but that is human nature.
It does not happen often, but different cultures can take what is meant to be helpful as criticism.

Last edited: