SQL Server & Terminal Services Questions

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
So we have a SQL Server 2008 running on a Windows Server machine that our iFix SCADA is writing to periodically.

If we want to connect to the SQL server, we are doing it remotely via MSTSC.

My question is, when the server is powered off and rebooted, does the SQL Server service start up if no one logs in? This is running as a console service, right?

If I remote in to the server, I usually log in as the Administrator. Should I be using the /console command to remote in? In either case (with or without /console) I am logged in the Administrator, but with the /console switch I can see the SQL Server service running in the background.

When it is time for me to log out, if I am running as a console session, with "Log Out" completely kill anything running as a console service or is it ok to simply close the console session without logging out?

SQL Server defaults to running as a system service; available at all times, unless you explicitly change it.

As long as it is running as a system service, then logging in or out will make no difference to it.