PLC Controlled Camera

Josiah

I found a similar thread in this forum, but he had a need for video feed as well.

Here is the deal:

We need a digital camera, to somehow trigger itself (laser trip?) as a product slowly rolls off the line. Then it needs to take that image and label it the order number our software has assigned to that product. The order number is printed on a tag on the outside of the product. It's about a 4" large barcode so integrating an image barcode reader would be nice. The finished cardboard product measures 4' high, 4' wide, 5' tall on average of stacked cardboard.

We make large stacks of cardboard in various lengths, so some product is longer than others. I'd use motion detection to trigger the camera otherwise.

What is the best way to implement this using either a microcontroller, PLC, spare computer, etc.

I have been investigating IP Cameras, and digital cameras. Digital cameras seem to be the easiest solution by a long shot. The IP Cameras have their own built-in software with very little customization ability.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=42561

^link to related post

Last edited:
That sounds like a job for a "Smart Camera" with bar code reading capability...
http://www.cognex.com/ProductsServices/VisionSystems/default.aspx?id=110&langtype=1033&locale=us

You could use a photoeye to trigger, how is the labeler triggered? Maybe use a similar scheme? Depending on the pitch of the bar code, and the amount of variation in label placement relative to the trigger point, you might need a high resolution camera to get good reads of the bar code. The great thing about using a vision sensor like this one is it will give you both a bar code string that you can compare with what you think it should be, and a static image of the part if you'd like.

I like Banner Omni Cameras
They will do barcode reading and then send out a just about anything you want Modbus, ethernet IP, & ASCII over serial or ethernet.
I have about 10 or so up and running in my plant. They can send a bitmap over ethernet and still can talk toa plc.

That sounds like a job for a "Smart Camera" with bar code reading capability...
http://www.cognex.com/ProductsServices/VisionSystems/default.aspx?id=110&langtype=1033&locale=us

You could use a photoeye to trigger, how is the labeler triggered? Maybe use a similar scheme? Depending on the pitch of the bar code, and the amount of variation in label placement relative to the trigger point, you might need a high resolution camera to get good reads of the bar code. The great thing about using a vision sensor like this one is it will give you both a bar code string that you can compare with what you think it should be, and a static image of the part if you'd like.

I've emailed them and looked at their website for about an hour now. Trying to get in touch with a sales engineer. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking at the Banner solution just recommended, I am emailing them as well. Since you've integrated in your facility already, what is involved with the setup? Is it fairly easy to implement? What does your setup capabilities include?

Thanks again for your advice guys, much appreciated. I will take a lot of pics once implemented, I'm excited to accomplish.

20 minutes of playing and I have the first one up and communication with a PLC5. About 3 weeks of tweaking and my application was running with very little maintenance. I have done some where they where on a Modbus TCP/IP. I thought it was harder than using the AB stuff but I am an AB guy.

I like them for a quick troubleshooting tool. I have 1 from my lab that I take out to do reference measurments from point to point.