1785-enet firmware

best49erfan

we are having issues with communications with one of our machines. we have 4 machines, and only one of them is losing communications. w are not sure if it is the network or the PC that gets data from the PLC. I was asked to find the firmware of the ethernet card. our pc with logix 5 is connected to the plc via controlnet and the ethernet card is using fiber to transmit data to the production computer. how can i look in the ethernet card to find the firmware?

I do not know this card you are referring to, and it appears to me to be the Ethernet connection to a PLC 5, so here comes a wild guess.

Start a Web Browser, and type in the Ethernet address of that card, hopefully it will be like other Rockwell Ethernet products and it will return a properties page.

If you have four controllers using the same interface and only one of them is malfunctioning, the firmware would be the thing I would least expect to be causing the problem.

The embedded web page should give you some diagnostic data. You should also be sure that the Channel 3A configuration in RSLogix 5 defines a Diagnostic File and then you'll have traffic and error information from the PLC-5's perspective available inside your PLC-5 application.

Do you have a managed switch somewhere in the system ? If the point where you go from fiber to copper is a managed switch, then you should be able to determine from the switch status and statistics whether there are errors on the fiber or the copper side.

Can you post more detail about what constitutes a problem in your system, how often they occur, and how they are resolved ?