Formatting CompactFlash from G3 Panel

matthew09

Hi, I would like to use CompactFlash to remotly update a database as well as store CF Images to be displayed on the panel. I am having trouble formatting a CF card using the Format Flash command from the Crimson Link menu. I get an error "ERROR - The CompactFlash could not be formatted". If I attempt to mount the card, I get a dialog indicating that I need to format the card.

When I start the panel, the CF LED flashes steady. If I mount the CF, and say no to the format request, the CF LED Flashes rapidly.

I believe it is detecting the card, but cannot format it for some reason. I have even formatted it from windows (FAT) without luck. If the card is left out, or formatted to FAT32, Crimson produces different (expected) errors.

The card is a generic 2GB card. Can the G3 panels use a 2GB card?

Does anyone have any suggestions before i go out and by a different brand card?

It can handle up to a 2GB card. I would try another card. Especially with the generic cards it is not uncommon to have a DOA

Hi,

2GB or less should be fine - however Redlion recommend Sandisk or Simpletech (Tested)

Another member (504Bloke i think) reported that the high speed cards dont work either.

I have tried some HD compact cards with my G3 panels with no success. I have found that the 2G Sandisk work fine. I have also used Memorex (spelling?) with no issues either.

That was me :)

The high speed ones dont work and if you get a sandisk the only ones i got to work were these

G1099%204GB%20Sandisk%20CF%20Card.png

The basic ones, not the extreme or ultra and in 2gb or less

I believe that tech support told me the ultra sandisk does work with the G3. I was having a heck of a time finding a standard sandisk or simpletech less than 2 Gb, and sent them an email saying it should be time to upgrade their hardware. Compact flash is being used less and less in other devices

-Brian

I believe that tech support told me the ultra sandisk does work with the G3. I was having a heck of a time finding a standard sandisk or simpletech less than 2 Gb, and sent them an email saying it should be time to upgrade their hardware. Compact flash is being used less and less in other devices

-Brian

Well it certainly didnt work for me, i binned them and used the standard.

What i didnt understand (and i did point this out to RL) was that of all the cards i tried that didnt work in a G3 and all the ones that did, when i tried all of these in a PV+ every sigle card worked fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I went out and bought another card (before reeding your replies) and picked up a SanDisk Ultra 2GB. Works a treat! Thanks for the heads up on the size limit.

For the Australian members; the generic was bought from Dick Smith Electronics. These probably work fine in most appliances but DO NOT work on a G3.

Also, on that note, 2GB is the uper limit for FAT16.

Not sure, but you might be able to format a larger card, but I would think that you would only have 2GB in the new partition... perhaps someone could try that out?

Also, on that note, 2GB is the uper limit for FAT16.

Not sure, but you might be able to format a larger card, but I would think that you would only have 2GB in the new partition... perhaps someone could try that out?

I tried this a couple of times but never had any luck. I would put some 4GB cards into my Linux machine and make a 2GB partition (tried primary and extended) and format FAT16 but no joy. Just easier to go get a 2GB card...

The easiest way to format the card correctly is to use Crimson to do it. This ought to work with any compatible card, including ones larger than 2GB.