Wonderware upgrade 7 to 8 cannot find topic

vt8

I have recently attempted a wonderware upgrade from Ver7 to 8 changed operating systems from NT4 to xp sp2.
everything seems to work in wonderware, except the initial startup which complains (it cannot access topic "abc" for access name "abc", can anybody please assist?
Then asks to load S3964R, it loads the correct topic.

Last edited:
An accessname in InTouch consists of three things: Node Name, Application Name and Topic Name.

An easy way for me to rationalize this connection is to ask the question, Where does InTouch have to go in order to get this data... and then mentally draw the picture in your mind.

So, when a tag makes a reference to to an itemname in a PLC, it also references an Access Name.

That access name tells InTouch to go to:

"Node" - this is the PC where the IO Server is installed. If the IO Server is installed on the same PC as the InTouch, you can leave this field blank
"Application" - this is the executable that is running the IOServer. Likely, S3964R.exe. When entering into the field, drop the .exe extension.
"Topic" - This field is used to identify a particular PLC that this IO Server can access. It must match EXACTLY what is configured in the IO Server configuration.

So when we tie this together, in order for InTouch to update this tag value, the access anme tells InTouch to go to "Node". Once it gets to "Node" it checks to see if the "Application" is running. If the "Application" is running, it then checks within that "Application" for the "Topic". If the "Topic" exists, then InTouch has all the information it needs to get into the PLC to access the "Item" configured in the InTouch tag.

It seems simple, just make sure to keep that path in mind when you configure.

and one other thing... kind of a work around, but still good.

You can go into WindowMaker, then Special/Configure/WindowViewer.

On the first tab "General" you can check the option to "Start Local Servers". It seems like this is unchecked, and prevents the startup from automatically starting the IO Server.

Let me throw this at you, I just bought a license for hmi reports. I am going to call my local distributor in a few minutes to see what they think... but wouldnt mind getting a second opinion. I enclosed the logfile from HMI reports. You can see all the way at the bottom it is giving me an error. I have 4 tags coming from a specific device that wont update in the logger studio. right now I have 3 devices, 1 device has 4 tags, 1 device 2 tags, and another 2 tags. only the device with the 4 tags wont update. the other 4 tags from the 2 devices work fine. status shows as good. the 4 that dont update dont show anything. these tags are updating fine on intouch and I can even use client to look at them with no problem.

I believe this is a bug, but it is known, and will be fixed. Basically, HMI Reports is looking at this setpoint, and it will not recognize a value until the setpoint changes. Bump the value in InTouch, see what happens.

From what I understand, there is a hot fix now for this, but it will be fixed in the new Service Pack.

I believe this is a bug, but it is known, and will be fixed. Basically, HMI Reports is looking at this setpoint, and it will not recognize a value until the setpoint changes. Bump the value in InTouch, see what happens.

From what I understand, there is a hot fix now for this, but it will be fixed in the new Service Pack.

yep, you seem to be correct. I used client to temporarily change the value and it changed on the logger. then when the device was polled it pulled in the correct value.

the funny thing is that I have the logger set to update every 2 minutes. it seems as though if the value doesnt change the timestamp never changes. is that correct? that must be part of the bug. These items arent set to only log on a deviation... or so I thought!

where can I get the hotfix? My local guy is supposed to be working on it, but they dont seem to be too familiar with hmi reports.

This service was already checked.
unusual wwlogger does not start automatically and only shows the startup application.
I am at the point of uninstalling everything, and start again.
what files should I keep from the old application?
what disks should I install in what order.
I had this dumped on me, due to a dying computer, I have little wonderware experience although I did the same on a profibus system and it worked after a little head banging.

@ vt8 -

What version of InTouch did you convert from..? There is a slight bump in the road if you migrated from InTouch 7.0. In v7.11, we changed our alarming from a flat file structure to a database structure... and you MUST first migrate from v7.0 to v7.11 BEFORE you can migrate to v8.0 +

This is more often than not, very painless.

ALL of the InTouch files are contained in one directory... and if you do it from scratch, this would be the only file folder you would need to save off. Of course, without seeing the application, I could not guarantee this.

I could ask you to zip up the application directory and sent it to me... or attach it here, and I will convert it for you (DON'T TELL ANYONE..!!)

Another thing you may have to do is make sure the OS Configuration Utility runs. XP SP2 added quite a bit of additional security overhead, and this utility will add exceptions to the OS Firewall to enable the application to run. This may be the issue with the wwLogger.

Another concern of mine, you seem to be moving from the frying pan, into the fire by moving from one obsolete OS to another. XP is soon to be completely off of Microsoft's support, if it isn't already, and the InTouch version 8 is already considered LEGACY.

I'll help you navigate as far as I can through this 'mate... hang in.

@diat150 -

I believe Wonderware support (or your distributor WW West?) can deliver this to you if you have a need and sign the agreement.

Personally, I would work around it and wait for the Service Pack. I just pinged our Product Manager for when it might be released. I actually see it on our internal download site, but I cannot give it out.

It is against protocol to circumvent distributor support, so the best I can do is tell you when, then you can call WW West and ask for it. I'll post what I learn as soon as I find out.

@diat150 -

I believe Wonderware support (or your distributor WW West?) can deliver this to you if you have a need and sign the agreement.

Personally, I would work around it and wait for the Service Pack. I just pinged our Product Manager for when it might be released. I actually see it on our internal download site, but I cannot give it out.

It is against protocol to circumvent distributor support, so the best I can do is tell you when, then you can call WW West and ask for it. I'll post what I learn as soon as I find out.

thanks for the info....

I was afraid you would say that. IMHO wonderware has the wrong idea about support. It seems as though all support goes thru the distributor, and in my experience the distributor does not always do a great job of supporting the customer. In the last 3 months I have found at least 3 bugs now in wonderware products. The "solution" always seems to be live with it or roll back. Ill be honest here, if my company had not been so ingrained in wonderware I would be using a different product.

anyway, thats my complaint and now I will get off the soap box!(y)